Is this shell rot on Russian?

Paddicus

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington VT
Hey, this is my wonderful tortoise Bowser. He’s been with me about 13-14 years, he’s relatively lively and has a decent appetite (though he’s been a bit picky as I’ve introduced new items to his diet). I have seriously neglected to give him calcium supplements the last years. do you think this white discoloration is in response to that?! I need to keep this baby safe, any help is appreciated. Happy holidays.
-Paddy
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Kybry00

Oxnard
Hey, this is my wonderful tortoise Bowser. He’s been with me about 13-14 years, he’s relatively lively and has a decent appetite (though he’s been a bit picky as I’ve introduced new items to his diet). I have seriously neglected to give him calcium supplements the last years. do you think this white discoloration is in response to that?! I need to keep this baby safe, any help is appreciated. Happy holidays.
-Paddy
View attachment 352775

Kybry00

Oxnard
I'm just seeing this it looks like she'll Rock to me look it seems to me that the conditions are not good where you're at have you considered maybe rehoming him

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I'm just seeing this it looks like she'll Rock to me look it seems to me that the conditions are not good where you're at have you considered maybe rehoming him
I disagree. First off, @ZEROPILOT is a veteran tortoise keeper and moderator here on the Forum. Secondly, shell rot is primarily found on the plastron, not the carapace. Finally, I also see in your other posts that you are looking to acquire tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you are wrong on this. First shell rot happens on the bottom shell almost never on the top shell.
Looks like scrapes on a wild caught Russian which usually have lots of scrape marks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
-Paddy
View attachment 352775
That is not shell rot. Shell rot happens on the plastron, and usually only in red foot tortoises that are kept on wet substrate all the time. Russians don't get shell rot.

Please read this, and there is a care sheet link for Russians at the bottom: