Is this set up ok?

Julie Avery

Location (City and/or State)
Rotorua
Hi we just got our first Herman tortoise, is this set up ok for it? He has been outside for natural light as well.
Thank you. It hasn't been to the bathroom yet but is eating well.

20190901_151820.jpg 20190901_151840.jpg

Julie Avery

Rotorua
Hi guys, I am new to this, we are in New Zealand & got our new tortoise yesterday he is this years hatchling. The substrate I have is 50/50 top soil & washed sand, inferred heat lamp & uvb bulb. I would like some advice on if this set up is ok. He has not yet gone to the bathroom but is eating well & has had a bath. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190901_151820.jpg
    20190901_151820.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190901_151840.jpg
    20190901_151840.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

xMario

Germany
Hi guys, I am new to this, we are in New Zealand & got our new tortoise yesterday he is this years hatchling. The substrate I have is 50/50 top soil & washed sand, inferred heat lamp & uvb bulb. I would like some advice on if this set up is ok. He has not yet gone to the bathroom but is eating well & has had a bath. Thank you.

Hello and welcome [emoji846]
Cute little guy for him to be healthy and happy u should change:

1.the red heat bulb. tortoises see color way better than we do and sometimes eat the ground if it is red looking. Get a normal incandescent lightbulb 60watts not a spot bulb and change the height of it till u have the needed temperature.

2. Ur uvb coil bulb. This bulb has almost no uvb output and also is known to hurt tortoise eyes. The best to get uvb from are t5 ho uvb tubes I like Arcadia but reptisun 10.0 works also.

3. No sand! Never! Sand can cause impaction change ur substrate to 100% topsoil or even better 100% fine grade orchid bark.

Otherwise ur setup looks good so far in my opinion if u go to the species specific section u can find a really good care guide for ur species!

Maybe other forum members can shine in who are experienced with ur species :)