Is this okay as substrate?

axmna

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, sharjah
Could i use this as a substrate for the tortoise or is orchid bark a better approach ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203_233420_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20240203_233420_Temu.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could i use this as a substrate for the tortoise or is orchid bark a better approach ?
Coco fiber is not good. Sometimes they eat it, and it can also get tangled around their feet or legs.

A mat like that is also not good because they can't burrow down into it and you can't keep it properly damp for humidity.

Orchid bark is the better approach.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Coco fiber is not good. Sometimes they eat it, and it can also get tangled around their feet or legs.

A mat like that is also not good because they can't burrow down into it and you can't keep it properly damp for humidity.

Okayy

axmna

UAE, sharjah

Is this light suitable for the tortoise ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_031652_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_031652_Temu.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Is this light suitable for the tortoise ?
Those little halogen bulbs are insufficient for a tortoise. I believe they are only 3.
0 UVB output. Tgey dont last long at all either. Tortoises need a minimum of 10.0 or higher. A T5 HO 10.0 or higher florescent tube light is recommended. You would also need a supplemental basking bulb for it as well. A simple incandescent 65w flood bulb does nicely.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Those little halogen bulbs are insufficient for a tortoise. I believe they are only 3.
0 UVB output. Tgey dont last long at all either. Tortoises need a minimum of 10.0 or higher. A T5 HO 10.0 or higher florescent tube light is recommended. You would also need a supplemental basking bulb for it as well. A simple incandescent 65w flood bulb does nicely.
Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 24" With Bulb i got recommended this but it isnt available in my country anywhere if you could send link of a another bulb

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Reptisun brand isn't as good as Arcadia in my opinion, but it'll certainly work. Make sure you get the 10.0 though. The one you have pictured is only 5.0.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Reptisun brand isn't as good as Arcadia in my opinion, but it'll certainly work. Make sure you get the 10.0 though. The one you have pictured is only 5.0.
Is this okay?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_034821_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_034821_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3