can orchid bark cause impaction?

Location (City and/or State)
northern ireland
I saw someone say orchid bark could cause impaction, but i’ve never heard anyone say about orchid bark causing impaction, so i’m here to ask is it true? because i’ve heard it’s great for russian tortoises. I’d like to know as i’m going to buy new substrate tomorrow and I just want to get the safest one.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I saw someone say orchid bark could cause impaction, but i’ve never heard anyone say about orchid bark causing impaction, so i’m here to ask is it true? because i’ve heard it’s great for russian tortoises. I’d like to know as i’m going to buy new substrate tomorrow and I just want to get the safest one.
Sure it can.
But it doesn't normally get eaten.
If your tortoise is eating it, you have other issues.
It's perfectly safe as well as inexpensive

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have been using fine grade orchid bark for 18-19 years and not one tort or turtle that have passed thru here has ever gotten impacted from orchid bark.

Skip K

Virginia
I use coconut coir partly because of impaction worry. No matter what steps I take...our torts...especially the young ones...have two rules...1: they are immediately going to walk through their just cleaned and filled water dishes and dirty it up with substrate and poop...and 2: they are going to walk through their food first ( usually after step 1 ) knocking much into the substrate before eating . They have been able to easily pass any CC they have accidentally ingested since they were hatchlings

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I use coconut coir partly because of impaction worry. No matter what steps I take...our torts...especially the young ones...have two rules...1: they are immediately going to walk through their just cleaned and filled water dishes and dirty it up with substrate and poop...and 2: they are going to walk through their food first ( usually after step 1 ) knocking much into the substrate before eating . They have been able to easily pass any CC they have accidentally ingested since they were hatchlings
I use coco coir for these reasons as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you been on FB? Those people are crazy and will ban you if you try to tell them what really works and what doesn't. Its fine to look at the pretty pictures there, but taking any advice is likely to confuse and frustrate you, as well as do harm to your tortoise.

Anything can cause impaction, but in decades of use with dozens of reptile species and thousands of individuals, I've never had any tortoise, turtle, lizard or snake get impacted on orchid bark.

northern ireland
Have you been on FB? Those people are crazy and will ban you if you try to tell them what really works and what doesn't. Its fine to look at the pretty pictures there, but taking any advice is likely to confuse and frustrate you, as well as do harm to your tortoise.

Anything can cause impaction, but in decades of use with dozens of reptile species and thousands of individuals, I've never had any tortoise, turtle, lizard or snake get impacted on orchid bark.
ah ok, I was confused because someone said not to use it as it could cause impaction but I seen it’s a great substrate. thank you, I’m going to go later to look for substrate so i’ll look for orchid bark or coco coir

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ahh i’m in the uk so sadly no home depot here ?
ZooMed sells it under the label of "Repti-Bark". I think ZooMed products are sold over there.

Just stay away from the Pets At Home stuff with the sand and limestone bits in it. That stuff is all wrong, dangerous, and shouldn't be sold. What a terrible idea that is. "Hey! Let's put lime stone bits in this sandy substrate to encourage tortoises to eat sand when they have calcium cravings!" Pure idiocy.

northern ireland
ZooMed sells it under the label of "Repti-Bark". I think ZooMed products are sold over there.

Just stay away from the Pets At Home stuff with the sand and limestone bits in it. That stuff is all wrong, dangerous, and shouldn't be sold. What a terrible idea that is. "Hey! Let's put lime stone bits in this sandy substrate to encourage tortoises to eat sand when they have calcium cravings!" Pure idiocy.
oh thanks I will look for the zoomed brand. And yeah I agree, I got that type of substrate once and it was taken out a day later ?‍♀️

Reactions: Tom

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
oh thanks I will look for the zoomed brand. And yeah I agree, I got that type of substrate once and it was taken out a day later ?‍♀️

Swell is a UK business and prices are pretty good.

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
Home Depot sells this.
Get the pure POTTING MEDIA. Not the one that says POTTING MIX. The mix has other things mixed in with it.
They sell two size bage. They're a few dollars each.View attachment 317901

I recently bought some of that. The pieces were pretty large. Does it come in different sizes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I recently bought some of that. The pieces were pretty large. Does it come in different sizes?
No.
I've used it with success in my hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
I also dump two bags into my heated outdoors night houses every 4 months for my sub adults. (It breaks down into soil after that length if time)
I'm not aware of any FINE Orchid bark out there. But it makes sense that there might be.

Reactions: KT1

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
No.
I've used it with success in my hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
I also dump two bags into my heated outdoors night houses every 4 months for my sub adults. (It breaks down into soil after that length if time)
I'm not aware of any FINE Orchid bark out there. But it makes sense that there might be.

Thanks for the info, all good to know.

I found fine orchid bark at an orchid supply place, and it is much smaller, also more expensive.
I was happy to get the larger CHEAPER orchid bark at Lowes lol!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the info, all good to know.

I found fine orchid bark at an orchid supply place, and it is much smaller, also more expensive.
I was happy to get the larger CHEAPER orchid bark at Lowes lol!
I guess you could chop it up as small as you'd like. All the way down to a powder. But you'll be fine with it the way it pours out of the bag. It lays down pretty flat. And you can tamp it down even more with the palm of your hand.
It really works great.
And it's nice and cheap.

Reactions: KT1