is this normal

jamiemunchel

Location (City and/or State)
pa
is it normal for my tortoise to do this?? he does it all the time and i’m just not sure if he is like playing??

0D665DE7-B3A1-44FC-9F4C-C6BC4A92DEA6.jpeg

jamiemunchel

pa
yep! although it’s not up high it covers the whole floor area so it’s nearly almost always on him rather then if it is up high and only covering some of the floor!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
yep! although it’s not up high it covers the whole floor area so it’s nearly almost always on him rather then if it is up high and only covering some of the floor!
Well then my guess is he's trying to escape having his eyes fried out. It's suppose to be mounted overhead.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yes. Tortoises have evolved ridges over their eyes that many posit help to shield the eyes from strong sun rays.

Captive enclosures should be built and managed to simulate natural conditions as closely as possible, so overhead lighting and uvb are the way to go.

As for the climbing: if they can, they do. Make sure all of your cage furniture is safe, and placed away from water plates so that any (inevitable) falls do not result in serious injuries or drowning.

Last edited:

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
At least 18 inches away for most.. read the manufactures suggestion.

jamiemunchel

pa
thank you guys for your input, I did not know that! I never read anything saying they could go blind, I just put it overtop and have not noticed any signs of him going blind!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
thank you guys for your input, I did not know that! I never read anything saying they could go blind, I just put it overtop and have not noticed any signs of him going blind!
[/QUOTE
Or get him some ray bans lol at least ur fixing the prob and not arguing

ZenHerper

New Jersey

It takes a while for damage to be done...like a slow, steady sunburn.

He's a real cutie! Welcome =))

jamiemunchel

pa
omg not gonna lie you guys really made me scared like I was killing him I love him so much and would not want to harm him

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Heres a thread u can read through
Dont be afraid to ask questions

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Corneal burns from uvb bulbs are fairly common. Reptile supplies don't come with more than rudimentary instructions about how to use them, so mistakes are easy to make.

That placement will be much more comfortable and much more efficacious!

jamiemunchel

pa
appreciate it greatly!! have a goodnight guys thank you for the help and being kind about it :)