Is this information correct?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hi guys! I’m part of another tortoise group, and let’s just say... they’re not too keen on tortoise care.(aka there are people keeping two baby sulcatas in a cardboard box with nothing inside but aspen snake bedding, and are feeding nothing but iceberg lettuce and strawberries. No heat or light.)
I compiled this little “what to do if your tortoise has a respiratory infection” for them, and was wondering if everything was correct?
Critique away!
“Tortoises need very high humidity as babies, and for some, all of their lives. But with that humidity, it opens up the opportunity for respiratory infections if the temperatures are not correct. With great humidity, comes temps that are 80 and above. Any less, and RIs become a problem.

First, get every temp in the enclosure up to at least 85 degrees, and the appropriate basking temp. It is very hard to do this in large enclosures, so a small “hospital tank” may be necessary. This can be a ten gallon, a small tub, anything that it fits in but can still move around a bit. Be sure that it’s a closed chamber, so that you can still hold in humidity.

Every day, soak your tortoise in a 50/50 mixture of carrot baby food and water. Use a small tub to save baby food.
Be sure that the mixture doesn’t get cold. You can achieve this by putting it under a heat lamp.

Right after you soak it, pick it up and gently tilt it slightly face down. You don’t want it to be facing down completely perpendicular to the floor, but it should be somewhat close. The mucus should start dripping out of the nose, and you’ll know it’s not water because it’ll be thicker.

Repeat every day. If all else fails, try to find a good reptile vet, but DO NOT let the vet give your tort any vitamin injections. They do no good, and since tortoises can’t poop out excess like mammals, they will often overdose, which causes skin to start literally sloughing off of the body. It’s pretty nasty.

After the RI is close to going away, start making sure that every temperature is correct. This means 100 degree basking spots for testudos like Russians and Hermans, and no lower than 80 for tropical species like sulcatas, leopards, and Redfoots.

I hope this helps someone!”