Information

Couper

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I need to acquire some information. About 6 months ago I purchased a healthy, baby Marginated tortoise. Sadly he died last night and now I am trying to figure out how he died and how I can avoid it with future tortoises. For a week and half before he died he got very sluggish and slept nearly non-stop. I would give him fresh food everyday with calcium powder sprinkled on it, but he wouldn't eat anything I gave him for the week and a half before he died. Since this was near the start of fall I suspected that he may have been in some sort of hibernating slumber or something, but the temperature inside of his tank stayed roughly around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and around 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit at night, so I was not fully sold on the idea that he was hibernating. I would bath him regularly two times a week for 10 minutes in lukewarm water. I did have calcium sand for his substrate and some of the marginated tortoise care websites suggest that that kind of substrate can be potentially harmful to them, but others sites I went to suggested calcium sand and other types of sand were better to have for them over any other kind substrate, so I am not fully sure if he died from the sand. I know he would, on occasion, eat the sand, so I am not sure if it caused some kind of intestinal blockage or something. Also I kept his lights on timer that would turn off his lights at 9 pm and turn back on at 8 am. SO, if anyone has any relative information about the symptoms he had before he died or any critiques about my care for him that may have been the cause of his death please let me know. I really would like to give raising a marginated tortoise another try, so if anyone possess any information that might allow me to avoid the death of another tortoise in the future, please let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's really no way of knowing why the tortoise died unless you have a necropsy performed on it.

We don't recommend any kind of sand, even the calci-sand because unless a tortoise is VERY WELL hydrated, the sand causes impaction. That may or may not be what caused the tortoise to die.

I'm very sorry that you lost your tortoise.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Right away I would say that the temps were not high enough during the day (basking temps should be higher) and the sand might have caused impaction. There will be plenty of experts around later that will jump in, in the mean time, at least this will give you a bump.

Couper

5 Year Member
Thank you for responding so quick to my question. I know it will be nearly impossible to tell the actual cause of death without any form of operation. And Thank you for letting me know I had to day temperature too low. I have seen many conflicting temperatures on many sites. Some say between 75-80 and others say 90-95. If the temperature in the tank needs to be around 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit I will need to purchase a better heater for the tank. The one I have was barely able to keep the inside of his tank at 80 degrees Fahrenheit during the day for this time of year.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I agree withSaleama your temps were to low I try not to let any of my torts
To get below 86 degrees hotter but no lower
But good luck in the future and I'm sorry
For your lost

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When looking at temps on some website, you have to understand that there are four different temps that are being discussed. Warm side, cool side, basking and night. Most people just list one of the above, or a range like you did, and I always wonder how and where that are measuring that one temp.

75-85 during the day is fine for the ambient temps, but you would need a warmer basking temp of 95-100 degrees.

My guess for the most likely cause of death, given what you have told us, is going to be sand impaction.

Sorry for your loss.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
75-85 during the day is fine for the ambient temps, but you would need a warmer basking temp of 95-100 degrees.

My guess for the most likely cause of death, given what you have told us, is going to be sand impaction.

Absolutely agree...in addition 30 min warm water soaks each day...for at least a solid 3 months or so and then back off to 30 mins every other day for another 6 months....not judging here at all, just sharing what I noticed in the outline here...

Rest in peace :tort: