is this clover ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
Hello.
is this clover ok for my Leo to eat? it grows in my front yard every year. It gets yellow flowers that kinda remind me of a bluebell but yellow.
IMG_20111215_150317.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's oxalis and high in oxalic acid.

I've edited my post to add this quote from a site about medicinal uses for oxalis:

" Too much Oxalic Acid binds with other nutrients, making them inaccessible to the body, and the acid itself is strong, causing irritation to tissues. Eating too much of a plant high in Oxalic Acid can cause digestive problems and kidney problems, and at extremely high doses it can be fatal. Taken in small quantities is perfectly safe, however, except for people with kidney disease or kidney stones, gout, or rheumatoid arthritis, who should avoid it if at all possible. "

Bear in mind that this quote refers to mammals/humans, not reptiles.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
yea it is. it grows in the corner of our lawn right by the front door. its a nice change compared to all the aloe and grass we have out front. i really should hire a landscaper. the back yard is just grass and flagstone. all the desert plants are up out of tortoise reach... unless i end up with a tort that can climb two foot high lava rocks and brick. in the spring i will have to take pics of the weeds that grow in the back lawn every year to make sure they are safe.

stells2

5 Year Member
If eaten... its not a case that it is toxic and will immediately kill your tortoise... Oxalis can be eaten in very small amounts and will not harm... it is classed as a do not feed... due to it containing high concentrations of Oxalic acid...

Just thought i would point that out in case some does get eaten by someones tortoises...

Status
Not open for further replies.