Plant ID help & Is this safe?

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
A lot of this grows in my back yard and front yard. It doesn't get sprayed with anything.

Any ideas what it is and if it's safe to feed a box turtle, leopard tortoise, and Greek tortoise?

It's the clover looking things not the blades of grass. Sometimes there are white flowers growing with it.

I'm in Northern California if that helps.OI000017.jpegOI000005.jpeg

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
I think we have both Oxalis and clover. We definitely have the white flowers from the clover plant and the leaves have the darker green stripe. But the patch I was looking at today had a yellow flower and the leaves didn't have the darker strip like the clover does.

I think I will avoid it to be safe. Especially since clover isn't that great for them anyway.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If it’s a small white or yellow (or pink!) flower with five petals, it’s oxalis. Like this:

0D0F798A-1D34-4843-999A-5E88602B63B2.jpeg

It’s the five petals that are the clue. Clover flowers look completely different.

Clover is just fine to feed. It’s a legume, which means it’s higher in plant protein than some others things but good as part of a varied diet. As always, however, feed what you feel is safe.