Is this a "thing"

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I tried to get video but by the time I had it ready, she stopped doing it.

Matilda was peaking out of the leaves this morning and she began to vibrate her head, almost imperceptibly....like a mm or two in either direction, but JUST her her head, her neck remained stationary. It was really weird. She did it several times for several seconds each time, then stopped.

Any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I seen that before but it was a male turtle, I think a paint or possibly a RES. But it was a male doing that to a female. Likely a courting move. Not sure how that would play out with your single female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried to get video but by the time I had it ready, she stopped doing it.

Matilda was peaking out of the leaves this morning and she began to vibrate her head, almost imperceptibly....like a mm or two in either direction, but JUST her her head, her neck remained stationary. It was really weird. She did it several times for several seconds each time, then stopped.

Any ideas?
Indoors or out? Is this turtle in a state of brumation, or is it inside and warm?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks guys....very appreciative for your insight.

It reminded my of my caiman, it would muster the beginnings of a "rumble" when they fibrillate.

She's never aggressive so I didn't sense that I was an intruder. In fact, she tends to come out when I talk with her, prob looking for food from me when we play the "stick game"

Sorry Tom, Matilda (we really don't know if she's a Matilda or Matt yet but we're beginning to lean towards Matt) was moved inside to a 30 gal for the winter after she was predated by something who ate into her shell. She gets 12 hrs or so a day of light and the CHE which heats her home, is turned off at night. She's very much active and is eating and "turtling" normally.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks guys....very appreciative for your insight.

It reminded my of my caiman, it would muster the beginnings of a "rumble" when they fibrillate.

She's never aggressive so I didn't sense that I was an intruder. In fact, she tends to come out when I talk with her, prob looking for food from me when we play the "stick game"

Sorry Tom, Matilda (we really don't know if she's a Matilda or Matt yet but we're beginning to lean towards Matt) was moved inside to a 30 gal for the winter after she was predated by something who ate into her shell. She gets 12 hrs or so a day of light and the CHE which heats her home, is turned off at night. She's very much active and is eating and "turtling" normally.
Ha, seeing you think she may actually be a he, maybe it is a mating thing and she/he is coming into sexual maturity?