Is this a start to pyramiding? I hope not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was noticing today that Hercules may have some slight pyramiding..I surely hope that's not the case and this is normal.
I spray him at least 3-4 times a day along with a few soakings per week. I try to keep him as humid as possible! He's about 4 months old and a good 3". Does this look like pyramiding?

It looks more noticeable in this pic:

image-898974940.png

And not as much in this one:

image-1989742902.png

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
It looks like there was more going on before and it is smoother now. Keep doing what you're doing! It looks great!

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
pdrobber said:
It looks like there was more going on before and it is smoother now. Keep doing what you're doing! It looks great!

Thank you! I hope him and hazel grow to be as smooth as possible. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would try to up the humidity in their home if you haven't noticed it before. Looks very slight though.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I see pyramiding yes but I mean its little and can be fixed so in time you will never even know it was there

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
BrinnANDGupta said:
I see pyramiding yes but I mean its little and can be fixed so in time you will never even know it was there

What else can I do to stop it? I spray 3+ times a day but I have a hard keeping humidity in the enclosure.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Do you use humid hides? Shorty (my leopard tortoise) started to pyramid. I went back and read Toms thread to see what else i could do and decided to change my hide. it made a big difference. shorty is starting to smooth out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i changed my enclosures to have lids on them. i have two 50 gal long tubs. i connected them with a tunnel. i have a small humidifier in on tub which now has 90% humidity. the other tub has 56%, higher when i water the substrate. the new growth is growing in smooth. i think even if you didn't add the humidifier but added a lid to at least half the encloserue and make sure the substrate stays damp you will have better humidity. Read these two threads of Tom's.
The End Of Pyramiding II-The Leopards
How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies.
Even if you have already read them, its good to read them again as a reminder. theres a lot to take in. It is very slight. Mine has more. So if you get a few things tweaked it will stop. Doesn't reverse but will stop. Good Luck:D

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
i changed my enclosures to have lids on them. i have two 50 gal long tubs. i connected them with a tunnel. i have a small humidifier in on tub which now has 90% humidity. the other tub has 56%, higher when i water the substrate. the new growth is growing in smooth. i think even if you didn't add the humidifier but added a lid to at least half the encloserue and make sure the substrate stays damp you will have better humidity. Read these two threads of Tom's.
Even if you have already read them, its good to read them again as a reminder. theres a lot to take in. It is very slight. Mine has more. So if you get a few things tweaked it will stop. Doesn't reverse but will stop. Good Luck:D

I've just moved them to an aquarium which is the same size as their tort table was and half of it's covered so I hope that will help hold humidity. I actually pour water into the substrate but not enough to "swim" in lol.

Melly-n-shorty said:
Do you use humid hides? Shorty (my leopard tortoise) started to pyramid. I went back and read Toms thread to see what else i could do and decided to change my hide. it made a big difference. shorty is starting to smooth out.

They do have a hide but it's fairly big. About 12" by 4". What size should it be for two 3" sulcatas?

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
HollyH8 said:
What else can I do to stop it? I spray 3+ times a day but I have a hard keeping humidity in the enclosure.

I kept my humidity up by putting an emergency blanket (at Walmart in camping section, its all shiney) over his lights and cage. I've also hear ppl use aluminum foil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
do you know what your humidity is? You can get a descent gage for not to much money at Home Depot or a store like that. I don't really know if the ones the pet stores sell is as accurate. It sounds like your humidity should be fine with what you are doing. I would get a gage, then you'll know where you are at and maybe won't have to worry about it.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
do you know what your humidity is? You can get a descent gage for not to much money at Home Depot or a store like that. I don't really know if the ones the pet stores sell is as accurate. It sounds like your humidity should be fine with what you are doing. I would get a gage, then you'll know where you are at and maybe won't have to worry about it.

I do need to get a Gage and see how much humidity is really in there. Where should I place the Gage when I get it, or does it matter? Should it be on the warm end where the top is open or the cool end where the top is closed or in-between? Haha! Just curious if it makes a difference or not.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
HollyH8 said:
wellington said:

I've just moved them to an aquarium which is the same size as their tort table was and half of it's covered so I hope that will help hold humidity. I actually pour water into the substrate but not enough to "swim" in lol.

Melly-n-shorty said:

They do have a hide but it's fairly big. About 12" by 4". What size should it be for two 3" sulcatas?

the size is about what i use. so i would say your good on that front :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not really sure:D My one tub is so humid you can see it on the sides, so I don't have a gage in there. The less humid tub has the gage. But I did put it in the humid side for a short time so I would get a reading, I just don't keep it in that side. So for you, I would put it on the hot end to get a reading and then on the cool end to get a reading and then I would keep it inbetween.:D That way you will know what you have at both ends and what the two ends together in the middle is reading. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say, as it is starting to sound confusing to me:p

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
wellington said:
I am not really sure:D My one tub is so humid you can see it on the sides, so I don't have a gage in there. The less humid tub has the gage. But I did put it in the humid side for a short time so I would get a reading, I just don't keep it in that side. So for you, I would put it on the hot end to get a reading and then on the cool end to get a reading and then I would keep it inbetween.:D That way you will know what you have at both ends and what the two ends together in the middle is reading. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say, as it is starting to sound confusing to me:p

Haha! I understand what your saying. I'll do that once I get the Gage! Thank you! :D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Basicslly what everyone is saying is about right , if you cage is at eight percent or higher you will be able to tell because the sides, top, will have water build up on them (most likely)
You should completely cover the top of your cage as best as you can. A rule for me is that I always have the cage completely covered and the lights inside of the cage with doors on the sides..no holes in the tops at all. It creates a "closed chamber"
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Closed-Chambers#axzz1hkZxITMK
Here is thread Tom started about it
Also you should have humid hides that are really, really humid. they should definitely have water build up on the sides and top.. if not I am going to say they are not humid enough ( I shoot for at or above 90% in my hides)
Plus you need to make a point to mist them and the enclosure as many times as you can in a day
Hour long soaks everyday with mistings throughout the soaks is what I do along with mistings while they are in their cage.
Basically try to create a completely closed chamber with the lights inside, very moist substrate , keep in mind the 3 - 4 inches of substrate helps keep humidity levels higher , you need 80% humidity throughout the enclosure minimum in my opinion. i keep the humidity as high as it will go in the enclosure and humid hide.
With that much humidity and lots of daily mistings and hour long daily soaks with mistings I garuntee you that they wont pyramid , keep in mind that with all the humidity it needs to be at least 80 degrees everywhere in your enclosure
Bulbs are also a big deal when it comes to humidity , Ceramic heat emitters are what you need to be using for 24/7 heat (of course you need some kind of basking bulb with UVB or basking bulb and UVB tube if they don't go outside a lot) any other bulb isnt going to keep humidity levels up as much. Only bulbs i use now are power suns and Ceramic heat emitters :) I hope this helped , of course all this is just the way I raise my sullies lol

everyone does it a little bit differently to fit their needs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.