Is this a good enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

decoman11

5 Year Member
I am open for constructive comments so please feel free to be open and please give me advice on what I am doing wrong

It is 4x3x1 near the basking rock is 4-5 inches of coir/sand which my little guy loves to burrow in. I also have a question that is will he be lonely by himself because I might be getting a rescue during the summer also is this big enough?

Attachments

• image-3442973867.png
    image-3442973867.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • image-3567894347.png
    image-3567894347.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • image-2329982151.png
    image-2329982151.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • image-1265871082.png
    image-1265871082.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
The enclosure looks beautiful.

Tortoises are loners by nature. They don't need companions. Some species don't tolerate other tortoises well at all and can be aggressive towards others. What type of tortoise do you have and what type would the rescue be?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a beautiful enclosure. The only things I would worry about, is the small stones, I would remove them. Some torts will try to eat them and well, then you may have a big medical problem. Second the metal pan for water. The water will make the pan rust. I wouldn't think rusty water would be a good thing. Other then that, great job. Oh, one more thing, your not using a coil bulb right?

decoman11

5 Year Member
wellington said:
That is a beautiful enclosure. The only things I would worry about, is the small stones, I would remove them. Some torts will try to eat them and well, then you may have a big medical problem. Second the metal pan for water. The water will make the pan rust. I wouldn't think rusty water would be a good thing. Other then that, great job. Oh, one more thing, your not using a coil bulb right?

No its a UVB dessert bulb from petco it was recommended also the water dish is stainless steel and thanks I will remove them right away

decoman11

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
The enclosure looks beautiful.

Tortoises are loners by nature. They don't need companions. Some species don't tolerate other tortoises well at all and can be aggressive towards others. What type of tortoise do you have and what type would the rescue be?

I have a Russian and They said it looks to be a Russian

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
decoman11 said:
wellington said:

No its a UVB dessert bulb from petco it was recommended also the water dish is stainless steel and thanks I will remove them right away

Stainless steal can still rust, normally is it is a lower grade I would recommend using plant saucer just to be absolutely sure it is save. But other then that and the pebbles looks amazing

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
As above, but it is a very beautiful enclosure. Love the basking rock.
Possibly pile up a bit more substrate here and there, sort of mounded?

I was trying to see if you have a thermometer on the back table there, lol! If not, you might want to get one to check basking and various temps around the enclosure. (The infared temp guns are nice).

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
GREAT enclosure! Agree with everyone else's earlier replies.

What did you use for the sides? Is that glass or plexiglass? How did you seal the sides? Or was the structure already built just an up cycle?
I ask because I am building my Tort Tortilla a townhouse right now and can't figure out how to support the plexiglass sides and corners.

Love the plants, are they real? If so what type did you use?
Wonderful habitat, your tort will be very happy.

-Tortilla-

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think you did a wonderful job!
I would also like the names of the plants, if possible.
Borrowing ideas.... :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.