Is this a good diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I was wondering if the diet I am feeding my russian tortoise is okay. Also wondering it's health and nutrition level, as well as variety. I think I have enough variety, but I don't know. The basis of the diet is grocery greens, which I know isn't the best, but that's just what it is for now. I also don't have a specific amount I feed of anything listed, I just feed random amounts of each;
Dole's spring mix
Christmas cactus (once or twice a week)
Russian tortoise seed mix from Carolina pet supply
Weeds;
dandelion
narrow and broadleaf plantain
hosta leaf (rarely)
lilac leaf (rarely)

I also have some plants in the enclosure, one of which being a dracaena that she eats sometimes (I don't know why she'd want to), and I also will be receiving some mazuri and cactus pads from a member soon. I also have a hibiscus plant that is a few months away from being able to be fed. How bad/good is this diet?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont know much about feeding Russians, but seems to be a good diet. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in...

sawz

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sounds good! my Russian LOVES dandelions

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not too bad. Add some escarole and endive sometimes. You can also try parsley, carrot tops and cilantro on occasion.

Tortoisesupply.com now sells a dried tortoise herb mix that is perfect for people who need to feed a lot of grocery store foods to make it through certain times of the year. Just sprinkle it on top of your grocery store greens for instant improvement.
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

Status
Not open for further replies.