is this a CH tort or RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
sorry guys, I need accurate information from all of u, cause when I bought this tort, the seller said that it is a Cherry Head tort, and now, many many ppl said that it is Red Foot..:(

so, what's your opinion?

thanks, and what about it sex? male or female?

thanks a lot..:)

photo1-11.jpg

photo2-13.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Cherry heads are one of at least four regional variants of red-footed tortoises that are most likely separate subspecies. They come from a specific part of eastern Brazil and are usually pretty distinct.
The young animal in your photos has the characteristics of a cherry head but it also seems to have a northern red-footed tortoise look to it. Being a captive bred tortoise it is very possibly a mix between the two.
It is still a bit young to tell for sure but right now it looks like a female.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
cdmay said:
Cherry heads are one of at least four regional variants of red-footed tortoises that are most likely separate subspecies. They come from a specific part of eastern Brazil and are usually pretty distinct.
The young animal in your photos has the characteristics of a cherry head but it also seems to have a northern red-footed tortoise look to it. Being a captive bred tortoise it is very possibly a mix between the two.
It is still a bit young to tell for sure but right now it looks like a female.

so, what am I supposed to do? or can't u judge it is a CH or RF?

I'm guessing that it was male, lol..

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Id say the sex is to young to tell.. What is he 4 inches maybe 5? Once the little guy starts growing he should develop some traits that will define it as male or female.. Id say u got a half cheery head half northern

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I see a lot of characteristics of a CH. I agree it might be to early to sex, but I am guessing female. Cute face though. Are you just asking what your Tort is or is there a problem that it could be mixed?

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
can anyone tell what are the characteristics of a northern i am curious.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
jareeed2 said:
Id say the sex is to young to tell.. What is he 4 inches maybe 5? Once the little guy starts growing he should develop some traits that will define it as male or female.. Id say u got a half cheery head half northern

its 11cm up..:)

so a hybrid u think? don't hybrid get a short life??

DixieParadise said:
I see a lot of characteristics of a CH. I agree it might be to early to sex, but I am guessing female. Cute face though. Are you just asking what your Tort is or is there a problem that it could be mixed?

what part that shows u it is a CH?

and why u guessing she is she?:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, a Cherry Head IS a redfoot. Its a regional thing. What is your concern? The care is the same for both.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emysemys said:
First of all, a Cherry Head IS a redfoot. Its a regional thing. What is your concern? The care is the same for both.

Yeah, I know that Ch is red foot..

I just want to make a clear to the seller, cause he said it was CH, but if it is not CH, I'm going asking him to explain to me..:)

So they can mating each other without saying hybrid (hatchling)?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Its not a Cherryhead.........

However, it's more than likely from a Southern population, not the typical Surinam/Guyana you usually see........

This animal pictured could easily pass for a Cherryhead, even to some of the educated Tortoise Keepers.........2nd picture is a comparison between a Cherryhead.......I don't know what locale these are from, but they are cool Northerns, but again, not the typical Northern Shield Redfoots........

SN853558.jpg

SN853561.jpg

SN853562.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mark hasn't chimed in here yet, but he has a comprehensive (and well researched) discussion of the regional variations for RF tortoises as a species:

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/aboutrf2.html

Concerning Cherryheads specifically:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/easternrf.html

Your tort has the dark shell of a cherryhead, but lacks the bright red markings on the face/neck - though the orange is absolutely beautiful! You have a nice looking Redfoot there.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You do realize that Cherryheads ARE Redfoots, right? They are the same species. Cherryheads are simply one of the locales (Also called Brazilians.) So yes it is a Redfoot... However, it could be a Cherryhead Redfoot.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
EricIvins said:
Its not a Cherryhead.........

However, it's more than likely from a Southern population, not the typical Surinam/Guyana you usually see........

This animal pictured could easily pass for a Cherryhead, even to some of the educated Tortoise Keepers.........2nd picture is a comparison between a Cherryhead.......I don't know what locale these are from, but they are cool Northerns, but again, not the typical Northern Shield Redfoots........

SN853558.jpg

SN853561.jpg

SN853562.jpg

Hate that..:(

I already texting and calling the seller last night, but he is not replying..:(

Redstrike said:
Mark hasn't chimed in here yet, but he has a comprehensive (and well researched) discussion of the regional variations for RF tortoises as a species:

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/aboutrf2.html

Concerning Cherryheads specifically:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/easternrf.html

Your tort has the dark shell of a cherryhead, but lacks the bright red markings on the face/neck - though the orange is absolutely beautiful! You have a nice looking Redfoot there.

Then, we need him here..:)

Just wait..

tortoise-kid said:
I would for sure say a Red Foot because of the torts head.

I knew it..:(

Kristina said:
You do realize that Cherryheads ARE Redfoots, right? They are the same species. Cherryheads are simply one of the locales (Also called Brazilians.) So yes it is a Redfoot... However, it could be a Cherryhead Redfoot.

I do Kristina,. But cherry heads are not red foots, am I right?

It just about honesty, unfortunately, the seller did not response anything to my call and text..

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Cherryheads are Redfoots, visit Mark's site that i posted up previously. Redfoot tortoises have an expansive range encompassing Central America and most of the northeastern regions of South America, as such, there is wide variability in those populations (regional phenotypic variation). It is likely they are all one species, we just don't have any quantitative/definitive evidence as of yet.

The variation in populations could result in speciation if given enough time and isolation, but I think they're all one species with genetically distinct populations (still same species) occurring throughout the RF's distribution. It is common for species with a wide geographical range to exhibit phenotypic variation across regions.

The Desert tortoise is a great example of this. We have populations occuring in the Sonoran, Chihuahuan, and Mojave deserts. All occur in North America, yet each of the desert tortoise populations found in these deserts looks slightly different (Mojave = light carapace, Sonoran = dark carapace, etc.) They're all the same species, but they're slightly different looking across their entire (and expansive) range. This is due to differences in their environments, but I'm not going to bore you with heritability and evolutionary babble.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
evlinLoutries said:
Kristina said:

It just about honesty, unfortunately, the seller did not response anything to my call and text..

Cherryheads ARE Redfoots. They are not two separate things. You can have a Redfoot that is not a Cherryhead, but you cannot have a Cherryhead that is not a Redfoot. The species name of a Redfoot is Geochelone carbonaria. The species name of a Cherryhead Redfoot is Geochelone carbonaria. A "Northern" Redfoot comes from the northern part of South America. A "Brazilian" or Cherryhead Redfoot is found mainly in Brazil, also in South America. But they are both REDFOOTS.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Redstrike said:
Cherryheads are Redfoots, visit Mark's site that i posted up previously. Redfoot tortoises have an expansive range encompassing Central America and most of the northeastern regions of South America, as such, there is wide variability in those populations (regional phenotypic variation). It is likely they are all one species, we just don't have any quantitative/definitive evidence as of yet.

The variation in populations could result in speciation if given enough time and isolation, but I think they're all one species with genetically distinct populations (still same species) occurring throughout the RF's distribution. It is common for species with a wide geographical range to exhibit phenotypic variation across regions.

The Desert tortoise is a great example of this. We have populations occuring in the Sonoran, Chihuahuan, and Mojave deserts. All occur in North America, yet each of the desert tortoise populations found in these deserts looks slightly different (Mojave = light carapace, Sonoran = dark carapace, etc.) They're all the same species, but they're slightly different looking across their entire (and expansive) range. This is due to differences in their environments, but I'm not going to bore you with heritability and evolutionary babble.

I'll visit as soon as my class dismiss..

Kristina said:
evlinLoutries said:
Kristina said:

Cherryheads ARE Redfoots. They are not two separate things. You can have a Redfoot that is not a Cherryhead, but you cannot have a Cherryhead that is not a Redfoot. The species name of a Redfoot is Geochelone carbonaria. The species name of a Cherryhead Redfoot is Geochelone carbonaria. A "Northern" Redfoot comes from the northern part of South America. A "Brazilian" or Cherryhead Redfoot is found mainly in Brazil, also in South America. But they are both REDFOOTS.

Sorry Kristina, what I mean in my earlier post is, red foots are not cherry heads..

Really sorry, that's just what I wanted to say..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.