Is there something wrong with my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

zurn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Burbank, CA
I am noticing black showing through my tortoises underbelly. I was wondering if I am caring for him wrong.

I feed him spring mix and give him baths regularly. I also take him outside and leave him outside for 4-5 hours 3 times a week.

Additionally, can anyone tell me if he is male or female. (I know I am calling my tortoise a he for lack of knowledge).

I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 58

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D I don't know if it is the pic or my old lady eyes...lol....but the only dark spot that I see made me think of right away perhaps your tort was trucking around and hit that spot....I would say to keep an eye on it but does not look like a bad thing...

Also, do you offer a warm water soak every day for about half an hour? I would also try to add more grasses and begin cutting up hay and wet it and then add to his regular food so that he can really bump his fiber intake up....also, dandelion greens and flowers and if you can get your hands on some grape vine leaves and leaves from fruitless mulberry tree....basically, I believe in addition to the spring mix you should be adding some additional variety of foods...

May we see a pic of him from the top and from the side---also showing his face? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi zurn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That may just be the pigment starting to change colors. They have darker pigmentation as adults on their plastrons. Is his plastron at all soft? Sometimes this darker coloration, associated with a soft shell, means the plastron is quite thin and the tortoise is very sick. We won't be able to tell you for sure just by seeing a picture. If you're really worried, perhaps a trip to the vet is in order.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

zurn

10 Year Member!
Burbank, CA
Pictures of my tortoises shell and face. I call him/her Ramen like the soup.

I am in Los Angeles and am a young tortoise owner.

Still wondering if Ramen is a boy or girl.

Attachments

• 2012-04-29 13.08.55.jpg
    2012-04-29 13.08.55.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.