First tortoise; I'm worried something is wrong

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Ugh....I don't think I could just abandon him though... Go back and see if you can get them to refund him. They may just let you still keep him bc no one would buy him.

Since they haven't been back, I'm guessing the little guy didn't make it..
?

RaeLee

Georgia
Yes, they DO need to walk around, however, "taking them out" is not a good idea. A little tortoise needs his own enclosure or yard. A safe place that he can't get lost from, or eat blanket fuzz, or get stepped on. a big enough space so he can get the exercise he needs for his digestive system to work properly. A tortoise's enclosure should offer him everything he needs to be a healthy tortoise.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure T1 Abram's tortoise isn't living anymore.
I feel like I cannot do anything right with my new tortoise compared to all of the comments. I am not able to make him an outside tortoise because he will get eaten and so currently, I have to do what I can and I went completely wrong according to the forum and the people at the store. So I do not know what is right and wrong or what to do at this point. I do not have a space like that unless I get a huge box and put him in it which I did not want to do that. I have spent way too much money now so I have to work it out however I can.

RaeLee

Georgia
He’s cute and probably very scared. Keep him warm. Let him get used to things. Put out some food. Talk softly to him. He’ll “warm up” to you and his surroundings. Each tort is his own tort. Some are boisterous. Some are shy. Time will tell.
My set up is the same and I have a new tortoise myself. They will get used to things quickly.

Sa Ga

MN
I feel like I cannot do anything right with my new tortoise compared to all of the comments. I am not able to make him an outside tortoise because he will get eaten and so currently, I have to do what I can and I went completely wrong according to the forum and the people at the store. So I do not know what is right and wrong or what to do at this point. I do not have a space like that unless I get a huge box and put him in it which I did not want to do that. I have spent way too much money now so I have to work it out however I can.
Yeah, there is a steeeeeeeeep learning curve and it can be exhausting! But please don't give up--the little critter's life depends on it!!!

Start w/ making sure his humidity and temps are good. (This will come from a proper enclosure. ) Make sure his diet is right. You can worry about upgrading space a little later(which you will need to do).

Take a deep breath, and clear ur mind. You will always see differences in care advice (and I'm not sure that in times of disagreement that there are TIMES BOTH SIDES are right!)--you just start w/ a trusted source and tweak as needed as you watch your tort for feedback in his behavior and health.

@RaeLee, just start w/ Tom's info and go from there. And if you find it's something you can't or don't want to do, please rehome him.

@Tom , can you please give her general care advice for her tort? (Or send her your care sheet links please?)

RaeLee

Georgia
@Tom I am trying to keep up with the forums and yes can you provide the care sheet link for the Redfoot tortoise
@Sa Ga I love my NEW redfoot tortoise so I will be keeping him and taking very good care of him. I am not perfect and again I stated being a NEW tortoise mom, so I will make sure I have everything he needs. Thanks!

Sa Ga

MN
@Tom I am trying to keep up with the forums and yes can you provide the care sheet link for the Redfoot tortoise
@Sa Ga I love my NEW redfoot tortoise so I will be keeping him and taking very good care of him. I am not perfect and again I stated being a NEW tortoise mom, so I will make sure I have everything he needs. Thanks!
I totally understand ur frustration though! And I have definitely not agreed w/everyone here--even Tom! Lol