is there any chance at all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hello my female russian is trying to bite my male russian, is there any chance they will stop this if I split them up and just let them be toghther for a little bit a day for a few days/weeks ? Or is there any thin I can do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take in all the info that was already give to you on your first thread about the same thing. Try all suggestions. If none work, then it's not going to work.

garon

5 Year Member
There is no post on my other thred! If there was I would not have posted again!!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Garon what thread are you looking at? The one in Jacqui's link has 8 posts and you replied to them.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
garon said:
There is no post on my other thred! If there was I would not have posted again!!

Is it that there's no posts or is it that you're not getting the response you want to hear?

There are some good suggestions on the last thread. Sibi and Jacqui's suggestion of creating a new, larger enclosure with lots of hides and introducing both torts to the new enclosure is great advice. This is your best hope because if they cannot co-habitate without aggressions, they will need to be separated for their own protection - i.e. kept in separate enclosures indefinitely.

Russian tortoises are loners in the wild. They do not live in colonies. They live by themselves. Males and females will come together just long enough to make babies, and then go their separate ways. The do not co-habitate in the wild and can get very aggressive if another tort enters their territory. So, keeping them together in captivity is unnatural for them and very challenging for us as their caretakers. Some people manage it successfully using strategies like that suggested by Sibi and Jacqui. Othertimes, despite all of our efforts, it doesn't work and the animals need to live separate lives. Its one of the many challenges of working with this species.

Status
Not open for further replies.