Is there a turtle that will fit my setup??

Lynsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I am in San Diego, CA USA. I have a 250 US gal heated outdoor pond. During winter months I cover it with a plastic pvc framed cover. Water stays around 78F and the air inside the plastic cover is warmer too. During the summer the pond gets partial sun during the day. I have an umbrella up so it doesn't get full sun all day. I have a small 5" Red tail giant gourami and other baby south american cichlids. I was wondering if there was a almost fully aquatic (can provide a raised area if needed) non escape artist turtle that would fit in my set up. I was hoping to find a small one that wouldn't be a threat to my fish. Also my pond is 87" long x 22" wide x 31" tall.

Thanks

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Your problem is I don't know a turtle that don't eat fish . and don't love to eat them .

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Your problem is I don't know a turtle that don't eat fish . and don't love to eat them .

Thought my fish might be too big to have the turtle think of them as food?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your pond sounds just wonderful, but the fish would be an issue. Turtles love fish. They are also escape artists, but you could probably escape proof the pond.

J_W

Colorado
I've kept Mississippi map turtles before and they may fit your setup. They stay relatively small, especially the males and they are great looking. My map never bothered the large fish, but did do the mating dance with one of them. He would rather eat bugs and worms.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I've had a gold fish in with my red eared slider for a whole now. He hasn't eaten him or even thought about it. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391836123.092323.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: