Is the Zoo Med repti-therm heat pad waterproof?

faith.coopa.troopa

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello!! I got this heat pad and as you can tell it is a little dirty, I wanted to know if it is water proof and if I can wash it? I used a wet wipe to wipe it down but I'm still not pleased. Sorry if this is an obvious question [emoji23] I'm just not sure. Thank you!!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How do you have that set up? It looks like one of the ones that is meant to be stuck no the underside of the glass enclosure, not actually within the enclosure where the animal can touch it. Am I wrong?

A lot of people (including me) have and recommend Kane heat mats: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

I have no issues taking the kane mat outside and hosing it off when necessary. It's really heavy duty.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Based on my electrical experience I would not use that in side the tank. THat looks exterior use only with no pressure to be applied to it like a standard heating pad. It states do not rest tank on cord or plastic house use spacers. So ideally think it should look like a sandwich- flat surface then lay pad down put spacers (ie wood strips) to fully support the tank but so that neither the spacers nor the tank make contact or press on the pad. THis way you will also not need to worry about cleaning or sterylizing

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I went to the Zoo Med website for this product and read the product description and use as well as many of the reviews - some reviews generally good, but many bad.

Id say it’s not “waterproof” and appears to be advertized to be applied to the inside bottom or side of a glass tank via sticky suction pads/spacers. Many complain that they didnt know to use a thermostat, while many complain of issues with cracked glass. The product is meant only for glass aquarium like tanks.

Id say it could be gently surface cleaned but definitely not water proof.

Not sure how you are using or for what reptile?

Bottom line - user be ware. Good luck - be safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!! I got this heat pad and as you can tell it is a little dirty, I wanted to know if it is water proof and if I can wash it? I used a wet wipe to wipe it down but I'm still not pleased. Sorry if this is an obvious question [emoji23] I'm just not sure. Thank you!!
Its a good thing you came here and asked. Those pads are not safe to use under a tortoise in any capacity.

If you have larger sulcatas that are living outside, you can use a Kane mat, along with an over head radiant heat panel, in a well sealed, well insulated properly built night box for them. Other than that situation, I wouldn't use belly heat for a sulcata. Here is an example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

faith.coopa.troopa

Southern California
How do you have that set up? It looks like one of the ones that is meant to be stuck no the underside of the glass enclosure, not actually within the enclosure where the animal can touch it. Am I wrong?

A lot of people (including me) have and recommend Kane heat mats: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

I have no issues taking the kane mat outside and hosing it off when necessary. It's really heavy duty.
I actually haven't used it yet. It was my step Brothers he had for his reptiles. I was maybe considering putting it in my young Sully's hide box in their outdoor set up but, like many of you have said I have seen bad reviews :/

faith.coopa.troopa

Southern California
I went to the Zoo Med website for this product and read the product description and use as well as many of the reviews - some reviews generally good, but many bad.

Id say it’s not “waterproof” and appears to be advertized to be applied to the inside bottom or side of a glass tank via sticky suction pads/spacers. Many complain that they didnt know to use a thermostat, while many complain of issues with cracked glass. The product is meant only for glass aquarium like tanks.

Id say it could be gently surface cleaned but definitely not water proof.

Not sure how you are using or for what reptile?

Bottom line - user be ware. Good luck - be safe.
I haven't used it before my step brother gave it to me. I was considering putting it in my young sulcatas outdoor set up in the hide box.. maybe I can put it on the roof

faith.coopa.troopa

Southern California
Its a good thing you came here and asked. Those pads are not safe to use under a tortoise in any capacity.

If you have larger sulcatas that are living outside, you can use a Kane mat, along with an over head radiant heat panel, in a well sealed, well insulated properly built night box for them. Other than that situation, I wouldn't use belly heat for a sulcata. Here is an example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
I haven't used it before it was given to me. I was considering putting it in my young sulcatas outdoor setup in the hide box but I have been hearing some bad reviews