Heat pad placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Ok....not sure if thus should be here or in enclosures.. finished the new enclosure and an letting IT air out for two weeks.

I know you shouldn't put a heat pad directly into the enclosure where they can lay on it, because it will dehydrate them. But I was wondering if it's ok to put it under the wood on the new enclosure under their hide so they can't get directly on it. Or would that be like the same thing? . It's been getting colder here at night so I want to make sure at least their sleeping spot is warm enough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've been having the same issue....at the night the a/c goes on, and tootsies heat lamp goes off....so i was thinking about getting a heat pad to.. the prob is you can put it in the enclosure...and if you put it under the wood..im pretty sure very little to no heat will make it threw the wood and the substrate...if any one can answer your quest they'd would help me out to...good luck bro!

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
The bottom on my box is only about a 1/4 maybe closer to a 1/2 inch thick. Idk if it would get through or not.
Urgh

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I know of people who have huts/hides for their tortoises with heat pads attached to the roof. Usually those are people with outside torts, but it could also work inside, maybe?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If you worry about an enclosure getting too cold, why not use a CHE on thermostat?
Set it to your lowest desired temp and any time the enclosure drops past that point (cold nights, AC clicks on) the CHE will turn on to heat up the enclosure only to your desired temp.

Is this an option for you?

Sent from my TFOapp

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I have been also wanting to get a heat pad for my enclosure because I don't feel like my CHE is doing it's job and my enclosure is made of wood. I feel like the CHE is only heating up the one spot it is hanging over and that is not where he sleeps at night. I was planning on putting it under the bedding in the enclosure where he sleeps so he can sleep on it just at night so I know that he is warm

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can't help you on the heat pad. I don't use them.

Did I miss what species and age of tort this is for? Is the enclosure a open top table, aquariam, closed chamber?

If you are using an aquarium, viv or chamber I have a tip for you with the CHE.
Keep your CHE over the middle of the enclosure but have the thermostat probe in a corner of the enclosure. This ensures that the farthest spot from the CHE is your minimum temperature. They don't have to sleep under the CHE.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my TFOapp

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Have you thought about a heat rope? You can run it through the entire habitat where ever you want. Also, if your tort doesn't sleep where the CHE is, why don't you move the CHE to where he sleeps? Or maybe he isn't cold and chooses not to sleep under it? Just my thoughts...

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
It is a baby Sulcata and right now the top is open. I don't have the CHE over where he sleeps because I have one of my heat lamps over where he sleeps on during the day and my uvb lamp is on the other side. He likes to sleep under the heat lamp during the day, but then thats also where he sleeps at night. He isn't in an aquarium. It's a wooden enclosure. I am using the plastic lids to try and trap the heat and humidity in for now. Over summer it was fine without anything, but as it got cooler I have been having a hard time keeping the humidity up. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378253505.969838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Blgreek08 said:
What the heck is a CHE.....

Ceramic Heat Emitter.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
What wattage would you suggest on a CHE for a 3x5 wooden table with a quarter open top. Were already getting down to the low 60's here

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
As for concerns with what wattage CHE to use, I go bigger is better. The important part is that it is on a thermostat. If you use a lower watt CHE, it may constantly be running, trying to reach your desired temp. Whereas a larger one will insure it cycles on and off. I get my CHE's on eBay for something like $15.00.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Heat pad placement

Cowboy_Ken said:
As for concerns with what wattage CHE to use, I go bigger is better. The important part is that it is on a thermostat. If you use a lower watt CHE, it may constantly be running, trying to reach your desired temp. Whereas a larger one will insure it cycles on and off. I get my CHE's on eBay for something like $15.00.

I second this.

I use the thermostat by Hydrofarm. I have a couple of them. Digital, easy to use, good price.

Sent from my TFOapp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My personal opinion is that babies should not be put on a heat pad. They're so small that they don't realize they can get off it if it gets too hot. I provide heat from above for my babies.

Another consideration...have you ever put a stack of magazines down on your electric blanket? Remember how hot it got under the magazines? You shouldn't put anything on top of a heat pad. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturing directions even tell you this. I have taken to mounting my pig blankets low on the wall instead of on the floor.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Under tank heating has little affect when heating tortoises. Their lungs are in the top portion of the shell. A radiant heat panel mounted to the top of the hide or enclosure would be much more effective.
They are relatively inexpensive depending on the size you get.

Scott

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
I have a closed chamber with a 150w CHE on a Zoo Med Hygrotherm Humidity and Temperature controller in one! (Petsmart Clearance bin $33) Works fantastic! I don't use the humidity plug because my humidity stays at 90% and above. I also have a small heating pad stuck under the glass under his humid hide. Works great at keeping the hide moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.