Stevie Tries the Mazuri LS Diet

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My Russian, Steve, gets the occasional Mazuri treat although his summer diet consists of the many greens that grow in his outdoor enclosure. I figured the winter was a good time for him to try the new Mazuri diet since most of his garden is covered in snow at the moment. He really enjoyed the original Mazuri mix so I hoped he would like the newer mix as well. He seemed hesitant at first and gave it a good sniff, but then he seemed to really chow down. :) He did that again the second time I offered it. I did mix it with the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food and a couple dehydrated cactus chips I got from @Will; I think he enjoys the variety.

The only inconvenience, which other members have mentioned before, is that the LS pellets are much more difficult to mash up. They are much smaller but I was still worried about Steve choking on them. I used hot water to soak them and left them in water much longer than I did with the old mix. It took a little longer to mash them up but it's worth it for my Stevie! It just took a little more elbow grease. The LS pellets are also much more aromatic than the original mix, so be prepared when you first open the bag! :D

mazuri1.jpg mazuri2.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have found that soaking the pellets (any of them) over night in the frig works well. I have used the Mazuri LS when I get a small free sample and I agree it has a strong odor, that would seem to be the molasses in it as far as I can tell.

I have used the boiling water method too, but as I learned about nutrient degradation by looking at drying the cactus I found that heat is not nutrients friend. I know we cook out own food?

Slow overnight in the frig works well. and If you end up with a few pellets more than you need they keep well until the next day.

In a recent chat with my tortoise wife we talked about grinding pellets us so that the dry grasses could be used. I've tried that too, and it makes alot of dust. So by accident I found that the moistened pellets re-hydrated in the frig, dry out well if left near a heat register in your house, then sprinkled on the wet lettuce or whatever.

The goal is the get grass and other long fiber materials into the diet. Yeah, Cactus Chips work well too. LOL

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have found that soaking the pellets (any of them) over night in the frig works well. I have used the Mazuri LS when I get a small free sample and I agree it has a strong odor, that would seem to be the molasses in it as far as I can tell.

I have used the boiling water method too, but as I learned about nutrient degradation by looking at drying the cactus I found that heat is not nutrients friend. I know we cook out own food?

Slow overnight in the frig works well. and If you end up with a few pellets more than you need they keep well until the next day.

In a recent chat with my tortoise wife we talked about grinding pellets us so that the dry grasses could be used. I've tried that too, and it makes alot of dust. So by accident I found that the moistened pellets re-hydrated in the frig, dry out well if left near a heat register in your house, then sprinkled on the wet lettuce or whatever.

The goal is the get grass and other long fiber materials into the diet. Yeah, Cactus Chips work well too. LOL
Thanks for the tip! I forgot about nutrient degradation; that's a great point.
Interesting. The last post that I can recall that a tortoise ate the L.S. and seemed to like it, it was also a Russian tortoise.
Thanks, he's always been a good eater. :D