is my turtle too cold?

vlonethug

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Ana , CA
Considering my redfoot tortoise is in a 40 gallon tank at the moment . And there is not a way to keep his hide at a 85 degree all night . I’m worried that he could get sick . I’m thinking about leaving in his heat lamp which is sitting at the top of the enclosure. But I’m concerned because 1 i know they’re only supposed to be on for 12 hours at a day and I usually shut it off before going to bed . And 2 I know they need darkness at night . Since I haven’t decided to leave it on at night , I cover the top with a blanket and in the morning around his half log it’s usually 65 degrees . I know it’s not that bad but what can I do in order to keep him warmer at night ? The picture is where his heat lamp sits all day . Is leaving it on at night even an option ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Herman_WA

Washington
One thing you could do is get him a heat mat. I leave my torts mat on all night. I just put it in his house and he stays warm all night and usually you can adjust the heat on them too.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
One thing you could do is get him a heat mat. I leave my torts mat on all night. I just put it in his house and he stays warm all night and usually you can adjust the heat on them too.

Actually, we do not recommend heat mats for tortoises unless it's used in conjunction with another heat source in an outdoor heated night box.

Tortoises are hardwired to get their heat from above, like from the sun. At night the air temp around them needs to be warm, and heat mats don't warm the air. They should not be used.

Instead, we use a CHE, a ceramic heat emitter. They screw in like a light bulb, but they only give out heat, no visible light. You can buy them at Petsmart or Petco, or possibly even at Walmart. You must use a thermostat with it. Set it at the minimum temp for your tort, maybe 80°. It won't come on until the temp drops to 80°, usually after the heat light is off at night.

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And there is not a way to keep his hide at a 85 degree all night .

What you need is a CHE, ceramic heat emitter, and a thermostat to control it. See post #3 above. You would set the thermostat at 85°.

Is your tortoise a hatchling? He needs high humidity and that partially open top is going to make maintaining the temp and humidity difficult. You need to build a framework over the tank to hang the lights and CHE from, and then drape a shower curtain over lights and tank both. Or since he needs a larger enclosure, get a grow tent. Read this post for different options.

You've probably already read this, but in case you need any reminders...

Last edited:

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
Actually, we do not recommend heat mats for tortoises unless it's used in conjunction with another heat source in an outdoor heated night box.

Tortoises are hardwired to get their heat from above, like from the sun. At night the air temp around them needs to be warm, and heat mats don't warm the air. They should not be used.

Instead, we use a CHE, a ceramic heat emitter. They screw in like a light bulb, but they only give out heat, no visible light. You can buy them at Petsmart or Petco, or possibly even at Walmart. You must use a thermostat with it. Set it at the minimum temp for your tort, maybe 80°. It won't come on until the temp drops to 80°, usually after the heat light is off at night.
I appreciate all the advice . But I’m still a little confused on how exactly I would use the CHE with a thermostat. I know there are heat panels which I plan on buying once I can move him to his larger enclosure . And build a wooden hide for him . The heat panel actually comes with a thermometer to plug it into . In this case would I need a separate digital thermometer? Plug in the CHE to the thermometer and set it at 80 so when it drops or gets too hot it can maintain at 80 degrees ?
Also does anyone know where I can get large bags of coconut fiber I need more substrate to fill in his larger enclosure
@KarenSoCal
@Herman_WA
Also he is not a hatchling . I got him from the store I’m assuming he’s about 2 or 3 . Not sure but he’s quite large .

Herman_WA

Washington

Thank you! Sorry, should I take the mat out? Will it cause any harm?

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I appreciate all the advice . But I’m still a little confused on how exactly I would use the CHE with a thermostat. I know there are heat panels which I plan on buying once I can move him to his larger enclosure . And build a wooden hide for him . The heat panel actually comes with a thermometer to plug it into . In this case would I need a separate digital thermometer? Plug in the CHE to the thermometer and set it at 80 so when it drops or gets too hot it can maintain at 80 degrees ?
Also does anyone know where I can get large bags of coconut fiber I need more substrate to fill in his larger enclosure
@KarenSoCal
@Herman_WA
Also he is not a hatchling . I got him from the store I’m assuming he’s about 2 or 3 . Not sure but he’s quite large .

Two things going on here. Your CHE and your thermostat (with temp probe) work in tandem. CHE gets screwed into the bulb outlet, that plug goes to the thermostat. Now you place the temperature probe in ur enclosure and set your thermostat to maintain the ambient temp you desire (85f). The CHE will turn on & off forever maintaing that temp.

➡️➡️ Here’s a good thermostat that many use - http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13882-zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller

vlonethug

Santa Ana , CA
Two things going on here. Your CHE and your thermostat (with temp probe) work in tandem. CHE gets screwed into the bulb outlet, that plug goes to the thermostat. Now you place the temperature probe in ur enclosure and set your thermostat to maintain the ambient temp you desire (85f). The CHE will turn on & off forever maintaing that temp.

➡➡ Here’s a good thermostat that many use - http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13882-zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller
@Maro2Bear
Big thanks man . I’ve been looking for a thermometer like this one

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@KarenSoCal
@Herman_WA
A 40 is MUCH too small for a 2-3 year old RF. What size is your tortoise?

Thermometers tell you the temperature. Thermostats turn your heat on and off, depending on the temperature. You need a thermostat to run your over head radiant heat panel, or CHE, and the thermometer will tell you if you have the thermostat set correctly.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also does anyone know where I can get large bags of coconut fiber

Go to www.amazon.com and search for "coconut coir". Then take your pick. The big 10 or 11lb blocks make a lot of substrate and are a good buy. However, if you aren't a Prime member, the shipping could get you.

You could also try calling local nurseries. If you are open to other substrates, you should be able to find fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), or cypress mulch.

I don't know if redfoot prefer one over the other.