Should I leave my torts heat lamp on over nigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal1128

5 Year Member
Im a new proud mom of a 4 year old Sulcata Tortoise. He is indoors as its to cold outside. At night it gets down to about 70 in the house. Should I leave his heat lamp on over night? I keep is UVB lamp on during the day when he is not running around the house.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
What are the temps inside the enclosure? With the humidity and everything it'll be colder in the enclosure so your probably going to want to get a CHE or ceramic heat emitter to leave on all the time

Zouave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
I leave the CHE on 24/7 and the UVB bulb is on a timer. If he is free to roam the house, I hope you've tort proofed. :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I use a 100 watt red heat lamp at night and he has an under the tank heater. Sulcata's need a temp of 90-100 to bask in and help digest their food, and a temp of 80-82 in the cool side of the enclosure.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
StudentoftheReptile said:
Zouave said:
I leave the CHE on 24/7 and the UVB bulb is on a timer.

Ditto.

I like CHE's for this reason.

Vertebrates contain a light-sensitive pineal gland as part of their endocrine system. It's really important in sleep cycles, secreting melatonin in the absence of light making it important for wake/sleep cycles and seasonal cues (mating, hibernation, etc.) It responds to light/dark cycles, so I see this as a biological reason for providing my tortoises light-free sleep at night using a CHE rather than a light-emitting source.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I also leave my CHE on 24/7 just adjusting the temperatures from day to night

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how big is your 4 year old?
what are your plans in a few years when he is much bigger? can you house outside?

crystal1128

5 Year Member
Laura said:
how big is your 4 year old?
what are your plans in a few years when he is much bigger? can you house outside?

He is 15lb right now. Yes we have plenty of room outside for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.