Is my tortoises eye infected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutail

5 Year Member
Hello!
I just got my new tortoise the other day. He's (or she's!) a hatchling at about a month old and I'm a bit worried about one of his eyes.

Here is the "bad" eye:
badeye_zps5d064a3c.jpg

For comparison, here's the "good" eye:
other-eye_zpse5c08cba.jpg

Sorry about the quality. As you can see one of the eyes looks a bit shut. I noticed that when I was handling him, he seemed to have some substrate around his eyes. Mind you, when I took these pictures I had taken him out from burrowing to eat. Does he look okay to you? Should I consider bringing him to a vet? How urgent is it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see a big problem myself. Have you tried washing his eye? Put him in a warm soak and gently poor water over his head/eye. Trying to get any dirt/substrate out. Also, are you using a coil bulb? If so, get rid of it. They have been known to cause eye problems. Hopefully it's nothing.

tutail

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't see a big problem myself. Have you tried washing his eye? Put him in a warm soak and gently poor water over his head/eye. Trying to get any dirt/substrate out. Also, are you using a coil bulb? If so, get rid of it. They have been known to cause eye problems. Hopefully it's nothing.

His eye looks a little better now. It's still slightly less open then the other. Here's an updated picture:
badeye2_zps40734bf6.jpg

The one in focus is the "bad" eye. I'll try giving him a bath later. I already gave him one this morning.

I'm using a mecury vapor bulb. I'm assuming that's alright?

Thanks for the quick reply.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What are you using for substrate....seems to me that I see sand particles...sand can irritate the eyeball for sure...along with increasing the chances for sand gut impaction....

I would offer warm water soaks and gently flush that eye out with warm water (not hot and not too warm) a few times a day until you see improvement...and what an adorable tort by the way :D

tutail

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What are you using for substrate....seems to me that I see sand particles...sand can irritate the eyeball for sure...along with increasing the chances for sand gut impaction....

I would offer warm water soaks and gently flush that eye out with warm water (not hot and not too warm) a few times a day until you see improvement...and what an adorable tort by the way :D

80% coconut husk fibre, 20% playsand. Do you think I should remove the sand altogether? I followed the instructions here: http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.