StephanieJi

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hii, my name is Ji and I adopted three male baby hermann tortoise (JH, Rio and Pilo) 11 months ago. Now they are around 9cm in size. My other two is fine but I noticed that my biggest one (JH) had always had runny nose frequently and his breathing sounds heavy at times. Their enclosure is quite big and i had placed both UV A and B light inside. Several days ago he sneezed and i was worried. I can see his nostril through but sometimes there is clear discharge from his nose. He is always active and has a big appetite so i never was worried for him but then i am now. Is he sick? Or is he just fine.

Attachments

• 865D56C8-58BA-491B-92A3-A6B0036DFBBE.jpeg
    865D56C8-58BA-491B-92A3-A6B0036DFBBE.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 96C7D594-351A-4D72-886F-BC4D421CA3D4.jpeg
    96C7D594-351A-4D72-886F-BC4D421CA3D4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 2D60A979-FAAF-44C6-AABA-66E5C96642DA.jpeg
    2D60A979-FAAF-44C6-AABA-66E5C96642DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those pics show a lot of bullying behavior. If you really have 3 males, which they likely are too young to 100%sex if they are only about a year old, they will all need a seperate enclosure all to themselves. I would do that now seeing the pics all look to have bully behavior.
As for the sick one, he should be by himself if you think he is sick.
Now we need much more info to help.
Temps-Basking, All over, night?
Humidity?
Lights and heat you are using?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi . To help your torts, please follow everything Wellington said and give all information , thanks!

StephanieJi

Indonesia
Those pics show a lot of bullying behavior. If you really have 3 males, which they likely are too young to 100%sex if they are only about a year old, they will all need a seperate enclosure all to themselves. I would do that now seeing the pics all look to have bully behavior.
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
Hi wellington thanks for the advice
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
hi
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
Humidity?
Diet?
Pics of enclosure.
Get them separated ASAP.
Hi wellington, thankyou for the reply. Do i really have to seperate them?(except for the sick one) Because it has never been one that is played with. They do it to each other just like playing. Smtimes they would walk together like a train and such and they really like to gather in one place. Its not like one tortoise is going after another, its more like if one is going to a place another follows to check out the place. Let me show u how they have been always following each other. Their main diet is pellet (i switch several brand for variation) bcs they would hav watery poop whenever veggies is fed. I gave them some carrots, sweet potato leaves and mustard greens at times. I leave the light on all night unless its very hot. The temperature is 30 Celcius and has humidity of 34%. But i do bath them everyday and there is a drinking place inside the enclosure

Attachments

• 7A9A9444-70D4-4DD2-92D7-A76EBBC416DD.jpeg
    7A9A9444-70D4-4DD2-92D7-A76EBBC416DD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2982040B-E178-4106-9B9F-C23E61063277.jpeg
    2982040B-E178-4106-9B9F-C23E61063277.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises don't play. That's you putting a human spin on it.
Tortoises are solitary animals. They do not live in pairs or groups except a very few species.
If you had one Male and 2 females in a very large whole yard enclosure then it could possibly work, or 3 females. But not 3 males or 2 males.
They also need more natural substrate not reptile carpet. Orchid bark or coconut coir.
We can't make you separate them but if you want them to live a long healthy life and not under constant stress then you need to separate them.
If you post pics of the tail area from the bottom we can possibly sex them. With any luck maybe you will have one Male and 2 females.

Reactions: Ink

StephanieJi

Indonesia
Tortoises don't play. That's you putting a human spin on it.
Tortoises are solitary animals. They do not live in pairs or groups except a very few species.
If you had one Male and 2 females in a very large whole yard enclosure then it could possibly work, or 3 females. But not 3 males or 2 males.
They also need more natural substrate not reptile carpet. Orchid bark or coconut coir.
We can't make you separate them but if you want them to live a long healthy life and not under constant stress then you need to separate them.
If you post pics of the tail area from the bottom we can possibly sex them. With any luck maybe you will have one Male and 2 females.
Ah alright, they are males because ive seen all of their purple dindongs hanging outside several times so im positive?🥺 will the substrate be able to make my tortoise healthier? Just now my tortoise is bored so i put the (sick?) one outside and he is happily walking around and eating very well. So does this concludes he is ok? Though i still can hear his heavy breathing at times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The appropriate substrate will make them much happier and be able to act normal. They like to dig down. It's like putting a monkey in a glass enclosure and not giving it anything to climb on, not right. Your tortoises like to dig in.
Keep the sick tort warm 85 day and night and get him in his own enclosure. The stress level will drop with the other two gone and he should do fine. Just keep an eye on him.
Yes, then they must be separated. All your pics are big signs of bullying. Those are the ones you can see. Most people interrupt the same as you did. But it's all bullying and there is more you didn't or can't see.