Is my tort gaining enough weight?

Susannadior

Location (City and/or State)
California
I've had Murphy for two weeks now. When I first got him, he weighed 34 grams. He now weighs 40 grams. I know each tort is different, but I'm not sure 6 grams in two weeks is a lot of progress. He sleeps ALL THE TIME until I wake him up for soaks, exercise and to feed him. I'm sure most of you have seen his home, but his day temps are 90 and night temps are 70 to 80. He sleeps in the warmer part of his tank though, which I find strange. He has an open tank in the day, bilut enclosed at night with thick plastic. He eats maybe two to three pieces of spring mix lettuce plus dandelion leaves when I have him graze outside. What do you guys think? Is there anything i can do to help him along or is he just growing as his own pace?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I've had Murphy for two weeks now. When I first got him, he weighed 34 grams. He now weighs 40 grams. I know each tort is different, but I'm not sure 6 grams in two weeks is a lot of progress. He sleeps ALL THE TIME until I wake him up for soaks, exercise and to feed him. I'm sure most of you have seen his home, but his day temps are 90 and night temps are 70 to 80. He sleeps in the warmer part of his tank though, which I find strange. He has an open tank in the day, bilut enclosed at night with thick plastic. He eats maybe two to three pieces of spring mix lettuce plus dandelion leaves when I have him graze outside. What do you guys think? Is there anything i can do to help him along or is he just growing as his own pace?

Ok, want species of tortoise do you have? He is probably not warm enough during the day if you take the cover off his enclosure. Heat rises, therefore, it will go right out the top and not stay on his level where it is needed. This will then slow or stop his appetite due to not being able to digest food . Most babies at this size need warm temps, no less then 80 throughout the entire enclosure, day and night. They also need a basking area of 95 to 100 to warm up to digest food. Humidity should be 80 to 100 % at all times.

Susannadior

California
Ok, want species of tortoise do you have? He is probably not warm enough during the day if you take the cover off his enclosure. Heat rises, therefore, it will go right out the top and not stay on his level where it is needed. This will then slow or stop his appetite due to not being able to digest food . Most babies at this size need warm temps, no less then 80 throughout the entire enclosure, day and night. They also need a basking area of 95 to 100 to warm up to digest food. Humidity should be 80 to 100 % at all times.
Hes a desert tortoise. Humidity is high. I think he might just be too cold... which is so weird because his temps seem right!