Worried Mom - tort not eating, lethargic

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
r
Dr. suggested a red pepper to get him to eat, with meds on it. Sadly, that was a not interested in for him.
radicchio is red and might entice him...I use Spring Mix with extra radicchio if I have a tortoise in trouble.

Reactions: Ink

Mysteek

Lake Worth, FL
To up the humidity mist some water in the enclosure. Can he have a high protein "wet" dog food supplement? My Red-Foot gets a few tablespoons of a high protein "wet" dog food every 2 weeks with her meal. I chose a chunk dog food, (lamb or turkey are the highest protein) I portion it out and freeze the rest. My RF is at least 20 years old and much larger so adjust the portion (check with your Vet first if the Tort can have the food). It may stimulate the appetite. He may also like fruits more than veggies mine does but again check what their natural diet is. Good Luck

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It is with great heartbreak when we woke this morning when found our baby had flipped himself and passed away. Thank you all for your kindness. Keinu hatch day 7-4-2019 - passed 6-23-2020
Sorry for your loss.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so sorry this happened, after all your really intense care of him. You certainly did your very best. I hope you get another one soon, perhaps not quite so young, that has a better chance of surviving.
I don't want to sound like an expert because I am not. But I have seen where sometimes, it's a good idea to wait and persevere with good advice, trying for a while yourself, before going to a vet who perhaps does not have good herp experience and may make things a whole lot worse, including undue stressing of the little animal.