Is my wee Russian gaining enough weight??

tsemiller

Got him in november 2013 and he weighed 59 grams - he now weighs 82 grams which means he's gaining about 3 grams a month. Is this enough? He eats dark green salad leaves, weeds and flowers. I grow mixed seeds He'll occasionally eat courgette too. He also has cuttlefish in his enclosure. He seems healthy and active and still has a soak ever day where he does a pee and a poo (helps keep his enclosure cleaner for longer). Was gonna take him for a wee check up at the vet but reluctant to spend the money if he seems healthy enough. What do you guys think??

tsemiller

Also noticed that some days he barely touches his food and other days he eats loads - is this normal?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Here's a formula to see the MINIMAL weight that your Russian shouldn't get under.

Measure the caparace (bottom) of your Russians shell, convert that I centimeters. For example, my Russian is 4.25 inches long, that's 10.8 cm long. I would then use the measurement in cm an multiply it three times. 10.8X10.8x10.8= 1,259.71....you then take that number and multiply it by .191. That will give you the number in grams that your Russian should not get under, otherwise it's considered unhealthy. I hope this makes sense.

———-------------------------
(This is my signature)
Here's some great plant identification websites I use.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Post some pictures and give us his overall shell length.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Are you keeping him in a humid enclosure? Do you know how old he is?

tsemiller

When we got him Nov 2013, breeder said he was just under a year - he weighed 59 grams. We've had him 7 months and he now weighs 82 grams. He lives in a tortoise table 6ft by 4 ft. I use topsoil as a substrate and spray with warm water twice a day to keep from drying up too much. According to calculation above minimum weight should be 66 gram so feel a bit better :). He's very active and eats well. I try to get him out as much as I can during summer cause winters here are way too cold! Here's some pics for you
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572088.317733.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572103.562627.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572123.661907.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572141.146767.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572161.676080.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406572260.762738.jpg

First time owning a tortoise so just wanna be sure I'm doing things right :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Nice enclosure, his growth lines appear to show substantial recent growth. His scutes seem a little raised; many of the more experienced tort keepers are advising using a humid closed enclosure for young Russians.

You may want to create a cover for your enclosure or make a small humid enclosure for him to sleep in. Also, try pouring water into the substrate and stirring to mix. I like to have one side wetter than the other to give my tort a choice.

I also use top soil, but I mix coco coir with the top soil because it holds moisture better.

Good luck.

tsemiller

I used to have him in a Vivarium but found humidity was way too high and he was very lethargic. Vet recommended the tortoise table and that I soak him for a half hour each night and spray the enclosure. Living in Scotland, humidity levels are naturally quite high. When I moved him from the Vivarium he grew quite quickly but slowed down again now. He is much more active and inquisitive since he's been in the table. I pour water and mix substrate once a week but might do this more often to keep moister. Don't know if I can get the other substrate here but will ask around. Wish I'd done all this research properly before I got him - amazed at how different peoples opinions are lol. Appreciate any advice I can get!! :)

tsemiller

I used to have him in a Vivarium but found humidity was way too high and he was very lethargic. Vet recommended the tortoise table and that I soak him for a half hour each night and spray the enclosure. Living in Scotland, humidity levels are naturally quite high. When I moved him from the Vivarium he grew quite quickly but slowed down again now. He is much more active and inquisitive since he's been in the table. I pour water and mix substrate once a week but might do this more often to keep moister. Don't know if I can get the other substrate here but will ask around. Wish I'd done all this research properly before I got him - amazed at how different peoples opinions are lol. Appreciate any advice I can get!! :)

tsemiller

Meant to say in last post that he has an enclosed sleeping area at one end of the table that he uses a lot so will make that more humid for him

Donna(truditortose)

west midlands uk
aww love your pictures. you tortoise is beautiful. I have just had my baby horse field for over a month. She has days when she eats lots and then other days when she doesn't eat much. If you have any advice on whats gd food for them please share.

tsemiller

His favourite food is dandelions and I have loads growing in the garden. I wasn't sure what other weeds and plants were safe so I bought a few packets of seeds from Amazon and I grow them in 2 big pots. He also eats dark green and red salad leafs, parsley, some wee cactus plants that I grew and he loves a cutting from the rose bush - he'll eat the leaves and the flower. He also loves courgette and carrot but only gets them occasionally. I also leave a cuttlefish beside his food which he loves. Sometime doesn't touch it for days then eats loads at once.

Donna(truditortose)

west midlands uk
Thank you. We are not sure the pet shop we got her from said she was around 6 months. We have had her just over a month. Someone else said she was possibly a year old.

Donna(truditortose)

west midlands uk
Sorry to Hi-Jack

I have just done the calculation as I am worried about my tort eating.

Length of Caparace = 6.4 cm
Current Weight = 108g

6.4 x 6.4 x 6.4 = 262.144
262.144 x 0.191 = 50.069504g

so her weight is currently 2.1 times the answer so this means she is healthy weight??

tsemiller

From how I read it, the figure that calculation gives is the lowest weight your tortoise should be so guessing anything over is ok. My tortoise is about 14-18 months approx and weighs 82g so guessing yours may be a bit older than you think. I'm no expert though and don't know how much their weight can vary so hopefully someone with a bit more experience might comment.