Is my sulcata healthy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a sulcata baby tortoise. When I bought cherry (that's its name) the guy told me he was about 8 months, but no one at the shop knew what they were talking about because I didn't my own research before hand and everything they told me about its care was wrong. Since then I've been trying really hard to guess its real age and health. I feed him romaine lettuce, spinach, brocoli, once in a while a little strawberry and with everything feeding I sprinkle over powder vitamins to ensure he gets all his stuff. I also rub him in flukers vitamin liquid so he shell would get hard ImageUploadedByTortForum1378267376.524760.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378267400.090445.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378267427.969926.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378267442.852848.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378267484.887379.jpghere are some pictures. How does he look ?? And how old do you hits think he is ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is no way to know their age unless you know their hatch date. This guy might be 8 months old.

I'm curious to know what they told you about its care, and what you think is the right way.

The foods you are feeding are not good. Here is what I suggest: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

They shouldn't be getting vitamins every day. Once a week is sufficient.

Rubbing vitamins on the shell will not make it hard. Sunshine (UV), a good diet, and the right amount of calcium is needed for that.

Your substrate is not good either. You need something that they can walk on that will hold humidity. That gravel is a serious impaction risk.

If you click the links in my signature, you will find all sorts of useful info.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. Now you have found a place where you can research until your heart is content. When I got my tortoise he was about 8 months old and had been kept entirely wrong. By following the advice that I found here I have been able to correct almost all of his deficiences and watch him grow to be a very healthy tortoise.

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
Well when I first saw him in the pet shop I fell Inlove, but the way they had them in a tank seemed wrong to me. There were 3 babies in a 10 gallon tank with rock beeding and they were feeding it store brand tortoise food mix. When I bought it they told me to feed it lettuce fruits and they made me buy the store brand food. They also told me to buys rocks for the tank. I knew from the moment they said fruit that they didn't know what they were talking about, and when I feed my cherry the store brand food he had trouble pooping and when he finally did I noticed that he couldn't completly digest the food cause there were still solid pieces. I have him in a 10 gallon tank with a 75 watt light that stays on all day and night I soak and bath him every other day in warm water and I need help because I'm new and I want cherry to live a long time. Btw I live in New York City.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have found help. Just click and read read read.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he needs dark time too.. get a CHE Ceramic Heat Emitter.. for nighttime heat.. no light..

a good soaking and some sunshine is a must too..

Status
Not open for further replies.