Very sick Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittni61886

5 Year Member
So i purchased a sulcata from petland a couple of months ago where they told me to just feed him romaine lettuce or a container of tortoise food and Squirt would be fine on that. I bought Rep-Cal Tortoise food as suggested by someone who has had sulcatas and are now atleast 15 years old and older. I also put calcium and vitamin powder on his veggies. I built Squirt a 3 by 4 foot enclosure and used bed-a-beast. I keep his temp at about 82-90 degrees with the lights he has plenty of water and i feed him twice a day. He has recently developed what looks like shell rot on his plastron,his plastron is getting soft. Also tonight he had this baby formula spit up squirt out of his bottom and shoot out about 3 feet. After that he did poop but it was very pebblely. I'm taking him to the vet as soon as i can get an appointment (exotic vets are hard to find and very far away), but until then I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on what i can do to make him more comfortable until then. Id appreciate any advice.

Brittni61886

5 Year Member
So i purchased a sulcata from petland a couple of months ago where they told me to just feed him romaine lettuce or a container of tortoise food and Squirt would be fine on that. I bought Rep-Cal Tortoise food as suggested by someone who has had sulcatas and are now atleast 15 years old and older. I also put calcium and vitamin powder on his veggies. I built Squirt a 3 by 4 foot enclosure and used bed-a-beast. I keep his temp at about 82-90 degrees with the lights he has plenty of water and i feed him twice a day. He has recently developed what looks like shell rot on his plastron,his plastron is getting soft. Also tonight he had this baby formula spit up squirt out of his bottom and shoot out about 3 feet. After that he did poop but it was very pebblely. I'm taking him to the vet as soon as i can get an appointment (exotic vets are hard to find and very far away), but until then I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on what i can do to make him more comfortable until then. Id appreciate any advice.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
maybe urates. You wouldn't think it is old enough to deposit calcium deposits, do you? I would definitely change the diet and take the poo and the tort to the vet.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
What kind of lighting do you have for squirt? Do you have a UVB Bulb?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If his was pebbly that might not be a good sign, unless it was dried up then it could be his urates which is normal if he doesn't do it so often. If your taking his poo to the vet make sure its a fresh sample from that same day. But as a warning his first visit might be quite expensive. How old is Squirt by the way?

Brittni61886

5 Year Member
He has a uvb light and he gets soaked every other day and he is about 3 months old. We took him to a vet today that honestly had to look online for info and i really wasnt satisfied with the results, but she did give us some medicine for his shell and is ordering some orchard grass hay for us. She recomended alfalfa hay which i read wasnt good for sulcatas. I'm getting him an appointment with a vet that is about 2 hours away (closest i can find) who is supposed to specialize in exotics and specifically tortoises.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
What did the vet have to say? I would keep up on the soaks(daily) just to make sure he is getting some fluids.Especially if he is on meds.I hope everything works out.

M

Maggie Cummings

Brittni61886 said:
He has a uvb light and he gets soaked every other day and he is about 3 months old. We took him to a vet today that honestly had to look online for info and i really wasnt satisfied with the results, but she did give us some medicine for his shell and is ordering some orchard grass hay for us. She recomended alfalfa hay which i read wasnt good for sulcatas. I'm getting him an appointment with a vet that is about 2 hours away (closest i can find) who is supposed to specialize in exotics and specifically tortoises.

Would you mind telling me what city you live in? It's possable to find one on Vets list I have...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If your tort is that young, he probably wont eat the orchard grass. but if you get Spring Mix salad at the store and chop up the hay and sprinkle it on top or place in a bag with the salad mix some water and shake it.. then he will get some of it that way.
If you can get him outside into Real sun.. that is best.
good luck.
Our Petland refuses to sell sulcatas.. the one good thing about the store!

oh and you can buy orchard or timothy hay in small bags for rabbits at your local walmart.. much cheaper them other stores..

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
possibly soak him in the sweet potato baby food would help with hydration and nutrition. I did it for mine the first couple of days when she was on a hunger strike.
Now every morning when I get home from work, she is all wet, just having finished her bath by herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.