Is my sulcata hatching enclosure ok? [New tortoise owner]

raghav123

Location (City and/or State)
los angles california
I'm so glad you asked! :)

@Markw84 custom makes PVC enclosures and they come with all the correct heating, lighting, and thermostats already in them and installed. This will be PERFECT for your situation in the cold garage because the PVC is a great insulator and Mark makes the doors double paned with an air gap in between. His enclosure are better AND cheaper than the ones from the big name makers, and he can have it to you much quicker too.

His cage will be under budget even with everything included, and the icing on this fantastic cake is that he make the enclosures easily expandable for when your tortoise grows! You can start with the smaller size for your hatching, and when it outgrows that, you simply get an add on from Mark that snaps into place and doubles the living space for your tortoise. The add-ons are cheaper than a whole new cage, and this will last you until its time to move your tortoise outside full time with a heated night box.

Mark is planning a trip down this way soon, so he can even meet up with you and deliver it! I just don't know how it could get any easier or better!
perfect, thanks for letting me know. How much does he normally charge for the smallest option? As my sulcata grows id buy the upgrades later on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
perfect, thanks for letting me know. How much does he normally charge for the smallest option? As my sulcata grows id buy the upgrades later on.
I'm sorry I don't remember. He has many options and sizes available. I remember the prices for most of them being under $700 though. Shoot him a message here on the forum in the "conversations" section and you guys can talk directly. I think he's got a website. I'll see if I can find it for you.

When you see how simple and easy it is to maintain perfect living conditions for your tortoise, and also use a fraction of the electricity to do it, you will be amazed. You'll also have a smooth, healthy tortoise to show for it!

Some days I just get so frustrated with people rejecting the help that is offered to them to make their tortoise's life better, but those days are inconsequential the compared to just one day like this where the right info gets across, and I know that little baby will grow up to be one of the best looking healthiest sulcatas in Southern CA.

raghav123

los angles california
I'm sorry I don't remember. He has many options and sizes available. I remember the prices for most of them being under $700 though. Shoot him a message here on the forum in the "conversations" section and you guys can talk directly. I think he's got a website. I'll see if I can find it for you.

When you see how simple and easy it is to maintain perfect living conditions for your tortoise, and also use a fraction of the electricity to do it, you will be amazed. You'll also have a smooth, healthy tortoise to show for it!

Some days I just get so frustrated with people rejecting the help that is offered to them to make their tortoise's life better, but those days are inconsequential the compared to just one day like this where the right info gets across, and I know that little baby will grow up to be one of the best looking healthiest sulcatas in Southern CA.

Thanks for all the help, I couldn’t imagine how he’d turn out without you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for all the help, I couldn’t imagine how he’d turn out without you.
I texted Mark. I can't remember his website, but I recently saw his page with all the options somewhere... He should be in touch with you soon.

I'm so happy that you are doing this that I wish to do something to help. I'm up in Santa Clarita. I don't know where in Los Angeles you are, but I want to set you up with an assortment of spineless opuntia cactus pads to plant for your tortoise. If you plant them now, they will grow along with your tortoise, and you'll always have an excellent food source for him. No charge. These can be planted in the ground or in pots. Whatever is convenient for your current situation. I'll also send along some tender small pads that your tortoise can eat now. It might work out that Mark stops at my place on the way down to you, and he can bring them along to wherever you guys meet up.

This is no big deal. I have an excess, so you are helping me by taking some.

ashleymiller28

NJ, USA
I texted Mark. I can't remember his website, but I recently saw his page with all the options somewhere... He should be in touch with you soon.

I'm so happy that you are doing this that I wish to do something to help. I'm up in Santa Clarita. I don't know where in Los Angeles you are, but I want to set you up with an assortment of spineless opuntia cactus pads to plant for your tortoise. If you plant them now, they will grow along with your tortoise, and you'll always have an excellent food source for him. No charge. These can be planted in the ground or in pots. Whatever is convenient for your current situation. I'll also send along some tender small pads that your tortoise can eat now. It might work out that Mark stops at my place on the way down to you, and he can bring them along to wherever you guys meet up.

Hello! I’ve been following along with this thread. If you happen to come across his website please forward me the link! I would love to see some of his cages that he makes. I just got a baby sulcata tortoise and would love to look into a new enclosure for future reference.

raghav123

los angles california

great! Really appreciate it. I’m only 15 and don’t drive yet so meeting up might be a hastle, I live in simi valley, it’s like a 30 min drive from los angles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
great! Really appreciate it. I’m only 15 and don’t drive yet so meeting up might be a hastle, I live in simi valley, it’s like a 30 min drive from los angles.
That's close! Mark will probably bring it to you. If not, with your parents permission, he can leave it with me, and I can drop it off. I don't mind. I have a falconry buddy in Simi with two new eagles that I haven't seen yet and he's due for a visit!

Mark is up near Sacramento and when he comes down this way, he passes right between us on the 5.

raghav123

los angles california
That's close! Mark will probably bring it to you. If not, with your parents permission, he can leave it with me, and I can drop it off. I don't mind. I have a falconry buddy in Simi with two new eagles that I haven't seen yet and he's due for a visit!

Mark is up near Sacramento and when he comes down this way, he passes right between us on the 5.
sounds good, Also, I have a huge wooden shed in my backyard, When my sulcata gets older should I attemp to turn it into a heated tortoise house? I heard people make those but idk if I have to since in california the weather doesn’t get too cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sounds good, Also, I have a huge wooden shed in my backyard, When my sulcata gets older should I attemp to turn it into a heated tortoise house? I heard people make those but idk if I have to since in california the weather doesn’t get too cold.
You'll need a proper tortoise night box when the time comes. Converted sheds are inefficient and don't work as well. That is two or three years for now. Let's worry about the right baby enclosure first. :)