is my garden proper?

rafael lopez

hello, this is my garden, im from sonora mexico, at the moment there isn't much grass because we haven't watered it in a long time but when we do or when it rains everything grows and a lot, its about 10 x 15 meters (probably a little more) my question is if this could be a proper habitat for an adult sulcata tortoise? if not what grassland not very little kind of tortoises could i have there?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488337405.645857.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's plenty big enough for a sulcata to have room for exercise, I just worry all that cement will be so very, very hot in the summer. You might think about putting up an overhead misting system to keep it a bit cooler. And water it so the weeds and grass will grow. I'd get some greenery established before putting a sulcata in there, because they decimate new plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't want a sulcata walking on that concrete every day. I'd also remove the planter walls on the left in the pic.

A sulcata might burrow there too and that could cause a problem.

What are your temperature on a cold winter night? You might also need a heated night box.

rafael lopez

what if i put a fence all over the perimeter of the dirt parts so it cant go in the hot cement? and instead of a sulcata it's a leopard or two? would that be enough space?
i would definitely make a night box since in the winter it gets pretty cold(not for a long time but still)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what if i put a fence all over the perimeter of the dirt parts so it cant go in the hot cement? and instead of a sulcata it's a leopard or two? would that be enough space?
i would definitely make a night box since in the winter it gets pretty cold(not for a long time but still)

A leopard would work well, but not two. Tortoises don't work well in pairs.