Is my enclosure ok for my Russian tortoise

Jordan93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397554507.773970.jpg

The heat bulb is just to the right along with the uv strip light. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm Jordan and new on this forum .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
You might want to change out that bowl. Maybe find something a little lower, with flatter edges.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While I am sure he is big enough to be able to climb in and out of that dish, I have two concerns. If he falls backward off his hide onto his back, could he get wedged into the dish too tight to get out? Is there really room in there for him to sit and soak? Pretty fellow! :)

Jordan93

5 Year Member
England
Thanks for the messages people much appreciated I will see if I can find a better water dish for him.ImageUploadedByTortForum1397574506.535860.jpg

There's a better view of his home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jordan and welcome to the Forum!

It's a very eye-pleasing habitat, but little Russian tortoises could use a bit of humidity in their environment. Can you moisten that substrate without ruining the wood?

Jordan93

5 Year Member
England
Thanks Yvonne :) I can moisten the substrate no problem I normally spray it down a couple of times a day. I bathe him for 20 minutes every day just to make sure he is not dehydrated.

Jhwells46

I've found that the best water dish is a terra cotta dish like the ones you use under a flower pot. Maybe $5 tops at Lowes and it's really easy for them to get in and out of without you worrying about them flipping over :)

Jordan93

5 Year Member
England
Great thanks for that I will have a look for one tomorrow .

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
very nice! there is only two things i'd advice which is the water dish as others have said and get some digital gauges the circle dial one's like that aren't accurate at all

Jordan93

5 Year Member
England
Ah ok thanks again I will go to a proper reptile store for one there's none close to me.