Is My Baby Healthy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Showing Off My Baby

mildred 1.JPGMildred II.JPGMildred Shell.JPGMildred Tummy.JPGMildred new enclosure.JPGSo I found an extra large cage on sale for 21.00 here in San Antonio and have switched Mildred out for some more space. I have figured out how to post my pics, so could the Box Turtle experts weigh in and tell me if she looks healthy? (She acts healthy-no issues, just a paranoid Mama). I have also included a pic of her new enclosure w/o the top. Any and all advice/comments are welcome-I am here to learn! :D

Attachments

• Mildred cage.JPG
    Mildred cage.JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Mildred cage II.JPG
    Mildred cage II.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RE: Showing Off My Baby

Don't know a thing about box turtles, but she sure is pretty.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
mildred 1.JPGMildred Shell.JPGMildred Tummy.JPGMildred Cuttle.JPGMildred II.JPGI posted orginally in general discussion but no one will reply to me :(

Can some Boxie experts please advise if my turtle appears healthy? I have never had a younger box turtle so I wanted to make sure her shell appeared healthy, etc. She has no issues (runny nose/eyes) has a good appetitie-I am just a paranoid Mama.

Thanks everyone!!! (by the way-the pic showing her underside is a little blurry as she was kicking her legs-lol)

Wow...really no one can give me any feedback at all??? :(

Last edited by a moderator:

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Soo cute, she/he looks like it may have some Metabolic bone disease....just make sure she/he gets uvb, sunshine, and calcium. When i got my 3 toed his carapace was slanted downward in the back too, but he's doing much better now.

twotallswan

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Sorry that you aren't getting the feedback that you need. I don't know anything about box turtles, but there is a link on the site for vets that are knowledgable about turtles and torts, so you might check there and see if there is one in your area. Never hurts to take your pets in for a check up even if nothing is wrong.

twotallswan
Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
WallieTheTortoise said:
Soo cute, she/he looks like it may have some Metabolic bone disease....just make sure she/he gets uvb, sunshine, and calcium. When i got my 3 toed his carapace was slanted downward in the back too, but he's doing much better now.

Thank you! She does have a PowerSun but I will start making sure I dust her food with calcium powder now (I was relying on the cuttlebone which she seems to nibble on sometimes). I noticed her shutes (?) were bumpy-didnt know if that was part of the growth process or not.

twotallswan said:
Sorry that you aren't getting the feedback that you need. I don't know anything about box turtles, but there is a link on the site for vets that are knowledgable about turtles and torts, so you might check there and see if there is one in your area. Never hurts to take your pets in for a check up even if nothing is wrong.

twotallswan
Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Thank you-I am somewhat new to the site so I will check that out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The turtle is showing some signs of MBD...see how the back of her carapace dips down? Its not bad, just needs a bit of improvement.

Your light is way too high to be giving the turtle any of the good UV benefits. I'm surprised that it even can get any heat into the cage at that height.

Try to get the turtle interested in eating a healthful diet. Here's a good link to feeding box turtles:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-42397.html

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
emysemys said:
The turtle is showing some signs of MBD...see how the back of her carapace dips down? Its not bad, just needs a bit of improvement.

Your light is way too high to be giving the turtle any of the good UV benefits. I'm surprised that it even can get any heat into the cage at that height.

Try to get the turtle interested in eating a healthful diet. Here's a good link to feeding box turtles:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-42397.html

Thank you Yvonne-should I rest the light directly on the cage, or rig it to where it is actually inside? I was scared about getting too close...what would you say is the good amount of inches it should be above the substrate? I feel like a bad bad turtle Momma now. I thought she was so healthy :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're not a bad turtle mama. If the turtle has been eating, its obviously warm enough for her. But resting the light right on the cage would put it at a good distance from the floor of the cage.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
emysemys said:
You're not a bad turtle mama. If the turtle has been eating, its obviously warm enough for her. But resting the light right on the cage would put it at a good distance from the floor of the cage.

I will fix that today when I get home-also for some reason I was under the impression cuttle bone was for calcium but some of the stuff I read says its more to keep their beaks down-so needless to say I wasnt giving anything else-so I did purchase the calcium powder which will now be used regularly. thanks again for the insight-all I really want is her to be happy and healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.