Is marram grass (Ammophila are- naria) tortoise friendly?

Rodica@NZ

5 Year Member
Hi
As previously stated I am in New Zealand and wondered if the above grass is okay to put into a outdoor enclosure? We have a lot in this country and it looks really good when it gets large. Thanks

Rodica@NZ

5 Year Member
Thank you for replying so quickly. I have another question regarding the substrate for my outdoor enclosure. I have been adding topsoil to all of my enclosure especially inside a cold frame that I have setup for my tortoise to hibernate in. On adding it I noticed that it has quite a bit of moisture in it. Is that okay for him to hibernate in? Or can I add something to make it drier? Thanks

Rodica@NZ

5 Year Member
Hi Rod, I'll be interested to know this also. Which part of the country are you in? I'm in Auckland.
Hi Neil, I am in Wellington, and from some of other posts I read I think I might have gotten a 2 year old from the same breeder as your tortoises are from? I got my Hermanns from Graham in Kati Kati. My Tortoise has slowed down considerably, winding down to hibernate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The species of tortoises that hibernate here at my turtle rescue cannot be allowed to be wet during hibernation. So they are put into a dry and sheltered shed/house/shelter and blocked inside so they can't come out until I say so. If your cold frame is safe from rain, the soil will dry out eventually and probably won't be a problem for the tortoises.

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
Not the same breeder, mine is from Auckland.
Georgie still hasn't slowed down too much, getting plenty of sun here in Auckland at the moment although the temps are dropping overnight 12c last night.
During the day we are still getting up to 19-20 degrees, and from what my partner says she's flying around outside :)

Going to set up an indoor table soon, just waiting a bit longer. Outside is best as we all know:)

Rodica@NZ

5 Year Member
Not the same breeder, mine is from Auckland.
Georgie still hasn't slowed down too much, getting plenty of sun here in Auckland at the moment although the temps are dropping overnight 12c last night.
During the day we are still getting up to 19-20 degrees, and from what my partner says she's flying around outside :)

Going to set up an indoor table soon, just waiting a bit longer. Outside is best as we all know:)
Hi
I have been trying to find anyone in Wellington that has a tortoise, as my Hermanns is my first and I am struggling with the hibernation thing at the moment. Do you keep yours outside fulltime?

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
No she'll be coming inside for the winter, but I really want to have her outside as long as possible.
I have never hibernated her, don't really trust myself doing it.