Is it possible?

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I had my Russian tortoise for a while and he is wild caught. Because of this his shell is a bit crusty and doesn’t feel smooth like captive breed tortoises. I would love if my tortoises shell would be smoother and I was wondering whether continuing to give him baths will make his shell smoother. Is this possible? IMG_7126.jpeg
He is a little dry in the photo

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Coconut oil? Is any type of coconut oil safe? I bathe him every other day, I'll try to bathe him everyday.
His shell is too dry, so if you soak him daily and every so often use a soft brush to apply coconut oil to his shell over time it will get rid of the 'crusty' feel....

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi shell looks exactly like mine (also wild caught). I don't worry about it too much. Its not like MBD lumps or anything, I think of it as "natural shell"

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Coconut oil? Is any type of coconut oil safe? I bathe him every other day, I'll try to bathe him everyday.
NO not any type. It has to be cold pressed and unrefined. Your torts shell is Keratin, for dry Keratin you need lauric acid for it to "absorb" oils. Almost half of the fats in coconut oil and made up of Lauric Acid so it is the best to use. If you used MCT oil or something else you will only be coating the keratin and plugging it, not good for the shell. No more than an hour after applying it you need to wipe down with a soft cloth, rag. You can do this every 2 weeks for a few months then see where your at (any smoother). There are some other oils that contain Lauric Acid but not in the amount of Coconut oil.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What I've been told is to use cold pressed. Not the same as expeller, so no, that's not it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I feel like I should say something like..."I've been keeping tortoises for almost 20 years, and most of them were given to me for rescue"...I have never ever not ever...put any product such as coconut oil on any carapace and believe me I've gotten some dry tortoises. I said what I did to beat Barb to the punch. lol Also...in the UK they bathe their tortoises...here in America we soak them....and if you soak everyday for about 20 minutes that carapace will start to hydrate...
This is Layla...DSCN2423.JPG

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I feel like I should say something like..."I've been keeping tortoises for almost 20 years, and most of them were given to me for rescue"...I have never ever not ever...put any product such as coconut oil on any carapace and believe me I've gotten some dry tortoises. I said what I did to beat Barb to the punch. lol Also...in the UK they bathe their tortoises...here in America we soak them....and if you soak everyday for about 20 minutes that carapace will start to hydrate...
This is Layla...View attachment 368572
This is what we do, everyday soaks. Everyday!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had my Russian tortoise for a while and he is wild caught. Because of this his shell is a bit crusty and doesn’t feel smooth like captive breed tortoises. I would love if my tortoises shell would be smoother and I was wondering whether continuing to give him baths will make his shell smoother. Is this possible? View attachment 368560
He is a little dry in the photo
Coconut oil won't hurt anything, but there is nothing wrong with your tortoise's shell. It is a totally normal looking Russian tortoise shell.