10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
...like what exactly?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Doing things to get them to be more stimulated is fine- hiding food, making it tough to find treats, etc. Doing things to make them frustrated for your amusement is not so fine.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
oh, she always sleeps in the same corner, so I put a rock there...

Oh and tricks should never cause pain or be overly traumatic

Madkins007 said:
Doing things to get them to be more stimulated is fine- hiding food, making it tough to find treats, etc. Doing things to make them frustrated for your amusement is not so fine.

so throwing a biscuit to the dog in a dark room - when she is a little bit blind so can't see it - is ok? she finds it frustrating we find it funny, but she gets a biscuit which makes her instantly happy (oh also she has virtually no short term memory)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dogs have a learning pattern.....however they live in the moment...so no long term grudge so to speak.....but if you do something all the time the dog will catch in due their learning pattern ability....

While some may say tossing a blind dog a bone in a dark room is mean it actually can heighten her sense of smell and trigger her determination...which is a good thing for a dog who has vision issues....now also know that a dog senses your feelings/emotions/intentions....so maybe when you are huddled pointing and laughing so to speak she may feel a bit of frustration....just my take....however, if while she is hunting for it maybe you gave encouragement to locate it....you may find she will make it a game and maybe you can make it a fun for all involved instead of a laughing at the blind dog event????? You know?

I have a friend of mine who hides the dogs treats....he believes he is being the smart one...however, the dog knows all his hiding spots...lol...so I am always amused :p

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
ascott said:
Dogs have a learning pattern.....however they live in the moment...so no long term grudge so to speak.....but if you do something all the time the dog will catch in due their learning pattern ability....

While some may say tossing a blind dog a bone in a dark room is mean it actually can heighten her sense of smell and trigger her determination...which is a good thing for a dog who has vision issues....now also know that a dog senses your feelings/emotions/intentions....so maybe when you are huddled pointing and laughing so to speak she may feel a bit of frustration....just my take....however, if while she is hunting for it maybe you gave encouragement to locate it....you may find she will make it a game and maybe you can make it a fun for all involved instead of a laughing at the blind dog event????? You know?

I have a friend of mine who hides the dogs treats....he believes he is being the smart one...however, the dog knows all his hiding spots...lol...so I am always amused :p

To be fair we do help her find it, its just so hard not to laugh when its right next to her front paw! also she has short term memory problems so what takes one dog a week to learn would take her several months (and that is if you are lucky)

Also the rock it to try and encourage the tortoise to sleep in her hide, and also to make it more stimulating by adding more challenges, and I believe that doing this in an area I knows she likes will encourage her to investigate what has happened!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My dog holds grudges.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Mine has been known too (for like 5 mins) it normally results in her peeing on the floor in front of you!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it is mean and confusing, to put a rock where your tortoises usually sleeps. I don't understand why you would care where she wants to sleep. Just MHO. My box turtles that are inside never went into their hide, so I took it out. Now they sleep dug under plants. My Cherry heads usually go in their hides, but sometime's I'l find the little one sleeping under a plant. It's her home and she can sleep where she wants to.

Dogs are much different, as they love to play. If your dog is young enough to enjoy a stimulating game, then I think it's OK. Sometimes my son will hide presents all over the house and tell my dogs to go find them. You should see how they run to find them, and we do laugh at their antics. These are just my opinions...that's all.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
terryo said:
I think it is mean and confusing, to put a rock where your tortoises usually sleeps. I don't understand why you would care where she wants to sleep. Just MHO. My box turtles that are inside never went into their hide, so I took it out. Now they sleep dug under plants. My Cherry heads usually go in their hides, but sometime's I'l find the little one sleeping under a plant. It's her home and she can sleep where she wants to.

Dogs are much different, as they love to play. If your dog is young enough to enjoy a stimulating game, then I think it's OK. Sometimes my son will hide presents all over the house and tell my dogs to go find them. You should see how they run to find them, and we do laugh at their antics. These are just my opinions...that's all.

This is kinda what I was trying to work out... She slept elsewhere anyway (under the heat lamp) s does not know I have done anything!

the dog is quite old at 10 and a half or so, so we have to just play short games with her and (I think) needs the stimulation as she can't take long walks anymore (not that she ever liked them!)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OT...I just noticed you're from Scotland. My dream place to go. In all the world, that is the only place that I want to see before I die. I have no idea why I am so drawn to Scotland, but even as a child I wanted to go there.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
terryo said:
OT...I just noticed you're from Scotland. My dream place to go. In all the world, that is the only place that I want to see before I die. I have no idea why I am so drawn to Scotland, but even as a child I wanted to go there.

I can definitely see the attraction (cant imagine living anywhere else) it is beautiful! hope one day you make it across! (like some day I hope to see the US and Canada)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Merlin M said:
terryo said:

I can definitely see the attraction (cant imagine living anywhere else) it is beautiful! hope one day you make it across! (like some day I hope to see the US and Canada)

So you have any pictures? Can you start a new thread or send me some through e-mail or pm? I would love to see some.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
terryo said:
Merlin M said:
terryo said:

So you have any pictures? Can you start a new thread or send me some through e-mail or pm? I would love to see some.

Have some nice ones of Edinburgh in the snow last winter

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
If you want to know how to provide animals (and people) with enjoyment, I highly recommend reading Animals Make Us Human, by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson.

There are two forms of pleasure: enjoying what you have (contentment), and looking for something what you want (seeking). Likewise, there are two forms of displeasure: not having what you need (lack), and not being able to search (frustration, or rage). If you want an individual to feel good - whether tortoise, dog, or human - then give that individual the freedom to pursue what it wants or needs ("Pursuit of happiness"). If you prevent this, then the individual will become sad or angry.

So, if your tortoise has a favorite spot for some reason, let him have it. If your dog has a certain way it prefers to eat, let her do so. As long as these things are safe, then there is no reason to deprive your pets of them. If you do, then you will be getting in the way of their pleasure, which is the same as being mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.