Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's the trouble with giving out information in an open forum. When we talk about the moist sponge glued to the ceiling of the hide, we're talking about tortoises that live in the desert, or open, dry country. Forget all that kind of stuff for your redfoot tortoise. Totally different kind of care required!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
That's the trouble with giving out information in an open forum. When we talk about the moist sponge glued to the ceiling of the hide, we're talking about tortoises that live in the desert, or open, dry country. Forget all that kind of stuff for your redfoot tortoise. Totally different kind of care required!

Yvonne I'm afraid they will be confused by that.. maybe you should explain? [ I'm not at all familiar with how the sponge works for desert, or open, dry country tortoises. ]

I've always used long-fibre moss they crawl into.. for redfoots.

NERD

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I am going to Lowes after work to get more moss. I'm going to build a thick layer on the half of the enclosure he spends most of his time. I had a bunch of moss in his favorite hide, but he's squashed it down, and that was less than a month ago that was added. I will remove the old and add the new tonight.

What about this dog food, it's EVO weight management.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein (min): 52%
Crude Fat (min): 15%
Crude Fiber (mac): 2.5%

Nutrient Analysis:
Protein- 52.46 %
Fat- 15.26 %
Fiber- 1.73%

Ingredients: turkey, chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, pea fiber, natural flavors, pumpkin, tomatoes, herring oil, apples, carrots, potassium chloride, cottage cheese, dried chicory root, eggs, alfalfa sprouts, minerals, L-Carnitine, vitamins, direct-fed microbials.

I'm not a big fan of pro plan. It's not a top rated food.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
goReptiles said:
I am going to Lowes after work to get more moss. I'm going to build a thick layer on the half of the enclosure he spends most of his time. I had a bunch of moss in his favorite hide, but he's squashed it down, and that was less than a month ago that was added. I will remove the old and add the new tonight.

What about this dog food, it's EVO weight management.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein (min): 52%
Crude Fat (min): 15%
Crude Fiber (mac): 2.5%

Nutrient Analysis:
Protein- 52.46 %
Fat- 15.26 %
Fiber- 1.73%

Ingredients: turkey, chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, peas, pea fiber, natural flavors, pumpkin, tomatoes, herring oil, apples, carrots, potassium chloride, cottage cheese, dried chicory root, eggs, alfalfa sprouts, minerals, L-Carnitine, vitamins, direct-fed microbials.

I'm not a big fan of pro plan. It's not a top rated food.

Whitney that "top-rated" that you like is LOADED with FAT! [ I've always wondered who does the rating.. doesn't matter ] Remember we're not feeding mammals.. we're supplementing tortoises. Your choice.

You have to constantly "fluff-up" the moss in his hide. The only way it could get squashed down is if it was kept too wet.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I will keep looking to see if I can find something with less fat. What would the optimal fat level be? I'm looking for a food with few to no fillers and crap basically. Purina, pedigree, most other brands that are manufactured by human-grade companies, like Mars, Heinz, and Colgate, aren't going to fit the bill.

The EVO duck canned cat food has the following:
Nutrient Analysis:
Protein- 10.3%
Fat- 11.43%
Fiber- 0.09%
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min)- 7.5%
Crude Fat (min)- 10%
Crude Fiber (max)- 1%

Cat Salmon and Herring Canned food:
Nutrient Analysis:
Protein- 12.18%
Fat- 11.27%
Fiber- 0.41%
Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein- 10.3%
Fat- 11.43%
Fiber- 0.09%

Since can food is rated differently than dry, it's a little different in regards to the proteins and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.