is dry hay a fire hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boutselis

5 Year Member
Here is something I just thought of.

Not only would the size of the lamp matter but I just remembered that the air temp matters also. Believe it or not, the chance of fire is actually higher in colder temp because of the air density. I am not sure how much it changes the kindling temps of various things but it does make it easier to ignite kindlings like hay or small sticks.

there is also the chance of electrical fire which is much different than something catching on fire from the heat produced by a lamp. sparks from a worn or malfunctioning electrical item can produce temps over 500 degrees and that will ignite many things in an instant and would definitely ignite dry hay or paper.

so thats something to think about also. There are a lot of different variables to consider.

M

Maggie Cummings

Huh! Notice how all those fires or most of them happened in Oregon? Guess we're not too smart here...but Bob has a bare floor and his hay is clear on the other side of the room.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have used hay for a while as a substrate.. Even under my basking light were the temp usually hit 130+ on the substrate....I had no issues..

I have read that when moist hay is bailed tightly..The heat generated from the fermenting hay would cause the hay to combust...

I tried my own test..(i had nothing better to do) I moistened a bundle of hay and tied it tight..and threw it in the sun for a few days with a meat thermometer in the middle( oh yes my wife's favorite meat thermometer)..checked it a few times temp never got higher than about 5-6 degrees over ambient..So I would venture to say it would have to be a very big tight bail for the air not to circulate in deep..and cool the heat caused by the fermentation..

Status
Not open for further replies.