is dry hay a fire hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
i just finished my sullies winter house. i just attached the CHE about 12" above from the top shell of the sullie. my question is this, since i have dry hay and dirt inside the enclosure. i'm concerned that this will be a fire hazard. i mean its pretty warm in the enclosure right now. is there any chance of the che producing too much heat and causing the the hay to catch on fire. if anyone can help out i'd really appreciate it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Johnny:

Only if it comes in contact with your heat source or light. Like if your clamp fixture fails and the light or CHE falls down on it, yes, it will ignite. But just shining down onto it should not be a problem. I don't know what temperature it takes to make it ignite, but if you have it 100 degrees directly under the light, I don't think that's hot enough for a fire.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
hay spontaneous combustion temperature is 130 F and 65 C

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just make sure your light is securely attached.. I have hay inside my big sulcata's house and the first thing I did was to make sure the lights were secured and would not fall...

johnnysd

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Just make sure your light is securely attached.. I have hay inside my big sulcata's house and the first thing I did was to make sure the lights were secured and would not fall...

i attached the che 12" and about 1 hour later i thought i smelled something burning and i notice the sullie doesnt like to sleep in there he's always wanting to sleep outside no matter how many times i put him back inside. is this normal. and are you sure the distance is safe?
this is my first winter home so i'm very inexperienced

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I grew up on a farm; we had several "barns" where we stored hay. Every barn had several 100 watt lights sometimes inches from the top row of hay. Most of the time the lights were on for a few minutes, sometimes maybe an hour.

We only had one group of hay spontaneously combust, that hay was baled too soon, wet, and became moldy.
I guess wet hay can become moldy and when the mold somehow ferments the moist hay and the process heats up and the outside dry hay combusts. It was quite something, totally unexpected and the insurance company did a thorough investigation. They determined it was all caused by moldy hay and actually paid us to get rid off all the other hay from that shipment.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
fbsmith3 said:
I grew up on a farm; we had several "barns" where we stored hay. Every barn had several 100 watt lights sometimes inches from the top row of hay. Most of the time the lights were on for a few minutes, sometimes maybe an hour.

We only had one group of hay spontaneously combust, that hay was baled too soon, wet, and became moldy.
I guess wet hay can become moldy and when the mold somehow ferments the moist hay and the process heats up and the outside dry hay combusts. It was quite something, totally unexpected and the insurance company did a thorough investigation. They determined it was all caused by moldy hay and actually paid us to get rid off all the other hay from that shipment.
ok well that explains it. the "hay" i have isn't quite hay yet. it was the lawn clippings i had dried out since sunday. its not `completley dry and there is still a hint of green color. is this a problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If anyone ever wants to toss the catcher-full of grass clippings for their tortoise, be sure to spread it out, don't pile it up. Grass clippings get VERY HOT in the middle if left in a pile. So hot that if you open the pile, steam will come out.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Honestly, I don't know. I do know that the guys need to know it will be dry and sunny at least four days before they cut and bale the hay. I never was part of the cutting and baling. I was only there for the loading and unloading and loading again.

I'm glad I moved an hour away from my moms "house". That way she stopped calling me to ask me to "help load the hay". I have not owned a horse for 24 years, but I helped "take care" of her horses until I got married and moved far enough away. I think my wife picked this house, just so it was far enough away, but close enough to visit occasionally

johnnysd

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If anyone ever wants to toss the catcher-full of grass clippings for their tortoise, be sure to spread it out, don't pile it up. Grass clippings get VERY HOT in the middle if left in a pile. So hot that if you open the pile, steam will come out.

great info thank you very much

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
When I first hooked up the CHE it hard a burning smell so I unplugged it and wasn't going to use it, but after chatting with Tom I found out that it happens with new bulbs like that and that it was burning off all the factory dust and other things that may be on it. I plugged it back in and haven't had that issue again.

After I built the house I would put mine inside and he would come right back out then I just left him alone to see if he you do it on his own and he refused to go in there. Then we started to get some rain so since he wouldn't go in on his own I had to lock him inside his house and I didn't let him out until the next day then when it rained again I had to do that again and luckily for me he figured out that it was nice and warm in there. Then he started going in there on his own at night and if it was cold.

You are going to have to block him in his house at night and let him out in the mornings and hopefully after doing that a couple times he will start going in there on his own.. Good luck, sulcatas are very stubborn..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grass clippings CAN be a problem because they can mold. Not good. I wouldn't use them for that application. It is great to feed them to your tort when they are fresh, but you should chuck any that is not eaten everyday.

You need a thermometer in there. That is the ONLY way you will know if it is too hot.

Many torts don't like their box at first. I find it easiest to move the box to wherever they WANT to be, but locking them in there every night will usually convince them that its the place to be in a few weeks.

boutselis

5 Year Member
hay will only spontaneously combust in bales or in large heavy piles. It is true that this happens when there is moisture in the hay. the act of the hay drying causes heat that can not escape from the center of the bail fast enough and then when it reaches a certain temp there is a chemical reaction that causes more heat that can not escape and the temp rises till it catches fire.

The kindling temp (the temp the ignition source would need to be for hay to start burning) for dry hay is in the hundreds of degrees. The spontaneous combustion happens from a chemical reaction that will not take place in a small pile and would also have to have moisture to take place.

This is where it may get confusing to some people. green hay has a higher kindling temp than dry hay. thats why if you put a match to green hay it won't catch fire. As long as the pile is small and the heat from the drying and breakdown can escape then the green hay is safe. But then there is the mold problem (which some one mentioned before). And if you have a heavy tort compressing the green hay then it changes the whole picture but the heat from the hay would probably make him move and end the cycle.

Green grass creates heat in much smaller piles than hay does because it is so much more compact. Unless pressed, hay will fluff up and a small pile will remain cool but grass is self compacting and will not let gasses and heat out. Thats why green grass works so well in a compost piles.

so to make a to long reply end
even if the lamp touched the hay directly it probably won't catch the hay on fire so its pretty safe.

I almost forgot. A few people mentioned locking the torts in at night. Make sure they are not coming out because its to hot. Olivia had a problem with her house when the heat lamp was on. It turned out it was way to hot for her. Locking the torts in a situation where their body temp gets to high is just as dangerous as being to cold so check those temps please before you lock them up

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Every spring there are barn fires in this area caused by heat lamps coming into contact with hay or straw, usually caused by a calf or lamb. Dry hay or straw is EXTREMELY flamable (inflamable) I personally would clear an area directly under the heat source. If your tortoise should decide to bury itself under the hay, under the light, it could possibly raise the material into the light. Shards of a hot broken bulb could be a problem also, so be careful spraying water around a hot bulb.

boutselis

5 Year Member
hay on bulb.jpg
yagyujubei said:
Every spring there are barn fires in this area caused by heat lamps coming into contact with hay or straw, usually caused by a calf or lamb. Dry hay or straw is EXTREMELY flamable (inflamable) I personally would clear an area directly under the heat source. If your tortoise should decide to bury itself under the hay, under the light, it could possibly raise the material into the light. Shards of a hot broken bulb could be a problem also, so be careful spraying water around a hot bulb.

I guess it does matter what type of bulb we are talking about. I was only thinking of the typical 150 watt ceramic bulb you would use for a tortoise. A barn may be using like a 500watt heat lamp or something much hotter.

Here is a picture of some very very old and dry hay on a 150 watt ceramic bulb at full temp. I even blew on it to try and get it to ignitehay on bulb.jpg. No fire. It did smolder for a short time but then stopped. I think dust on the hay was doing the smoldering and not the hay.

Maybe if a 150 watt in a dome fell so the dome contained the heat it may build up enough to get it to burn but it just laying on the bulb did not start a fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
boutselis said:
yagyujubei said:

I guess it does matter what type of bulb we are talking about. I was only thinking of the typical 150 watt ceramic bulb you would use for a tortoise. A barn may be using like a 500watt heat lamp or something much hotter.

Here is a picture of some very very old and dry hay on a 150 watt ceramic bulb at full temp. I even blew on it to try and get it to ignite. No fire. It did smolder for a short time but then stopped. I think dust on the hay was doing the smoldering and not the hay.

Maybe if a 150 watt in a dome fell so the dome contained the heat it may build up enough to get it to burn but it just laying on the bulb did not start a fire.

Kudos on the experimentation.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well don't I feel stupid! I guess it's myth busted. Your experiment definately proves that nothing can go wrong. Please continue to reassure people to the "proven" safety of that combination.
boutselis said:
yagyujubei said:

Here is a picture of some very very old and dry hay on a 150 watt ceramic bulb at full temp. I even blew on it to try and get it to ignite. No fire. It did smolder for a short time but then stopped. I think dust on the hay was doing the smoldering and not the hay.

boutselis

5 Year Member
I thought it was important. Although I would say it is better to be safe than sorry and you should try to avoid having anything touch the lamp I didn't want people to be needlessly scared of hay under heat lamps

yagyujubei said:
Well don't I feel stupid! I guess it's myth busted. Your experiment definately proves that nothing can go wrong. Please continue to reassure people to the "proven" safety of that combination.

I never said anything is
Proven. I just didn't want people to be so scared that they didn't use their hay.

And everyone should remember this was a 150 watt ceramic bulb. Our lamp will take up to 250 which I am sure would be much hotter.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Newer Entries »

heat lamp for dog destroys house, Redmond OR
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008

A heat lamp in a dog house caused a major fire northeast of Redmond late Saturday afternoon at 3775 NE Zamia, northeast of Redmond. The occupants were not at home when the fire occurred. Firefighters rescued a cat from the house. Two other pets also survived. The fire started under the cover of a porch, spread to the attic, and burned through the roof. Damage is estimated at $150,000.

more at LINK

Posted in Heat Lamp, Pet | No Comments »

Heat lamp for snake ignites Lake Oswego fire
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008

by Rick Bella, The Oregonian

Monday December 22, 2008, 4:20 PM

An infrared heat lamp used to warm a snake terrarium caused a small house fire today in Lake Oswego.

No injuries were reported to the residents or the snake.

Gert Zoutendijk, Lake Oswego Fire Department deputy fire marshal, said firefighters Koawood Road

Lake Oswego

Zoutendijk said the residents had left home yesterday after their power went out. Sometime during the night, the heat lamp on over the snake terrarium fell, aiming the heat lamp at the wooden floor. When power was restored around midnight, the light ignited the floor.

Damage was estimated at about $7,000.

3 barn fires, Culver
Thursday, December 18th, 2008

Heater issues spark three Culver fires, kill animals

Posted: Dec 17, 2008 08:19 PM

Culver resident David Henley says pig likely knocked over heat lamp or tossed hay on it, igniting fire

By Jennifer, Burns, KTVZ.COMIn a 10-hour span, Jefferson County Rural Fire District officials put out three fires in Culver, all started by heating devices for animals, several of which perished in the blazes.

Teresa Haro’s neighbors saw her chicken coop go up in flames.

“I was getting ready for bed, and the neighbor ran over and said the shed was on fire,” Haro, a Culver resident, said Wednesday.

One group of chickens were locked in a small coop with a water heater. They couldn’t escape the flames, killing five of Haro’s pets.

“You need it to keep the water from freezing, otherwise the chickens will die without the water,” Haro said.

Haro bought the heater two days ago, and checked it hours before it caught fire.

Six hours later and a mile away, a barn burned to the ground.

…

Henley says one of the pigs either knocked over a heat lamp or tossed hay on top, igniting it.

“With pigs, they don’t have any hair,” he said. “So you have to have some sort of heat for them or they’ll freeze to death.”

A tractor, a feed grinder and 22 tons of alfalfa all went up in flames.

…

Culver resident Jaye Reeves said, “I actually had my neighbor call me this morning said the doghouse was on fire and the fire department was on the way.”

…
The Jefferson County RFPD has some tips for other pet and livestock owners:

Keep heating devices away from combustibles, and safely fasten heaters so they can’t be knocked over. Also, use UL approved heating devices, those devices are tested and meet electrical standards and rules.

more at LINK

Actually, heat pads are safer than lights. My power strip would make them even safer, raising an alarm and shutting them off at the first sign of smoke. And ETL listings are also permitted for NRTL test proof.

Posted in Heat Lamp, Pet, barn appliances | No Comments »

Heat lamp burns barn, Leeds Ontario
Sunday, December 14th, 2008

Posted By NICK GARDINER, SUN MEDIA

A small number of pigs, chickens, geese and rabbits died in a massive fire late Wednesday afternoon that destroyed a barn on Townline Road in Leeds and the Thousand Islands Township.

A tractor and 4,000 bales of hay were also lost in the blaze.

Brent Wilson, who farms the land, spotted the fire around 4 p. m. and managed to save some pigs, but the blaze quickly got out of hand.

“I came into the barn and it was just a small hole in the wall. In two minutes, it was into the loft,” Wilson said.

it was a heat lamp used to keep the two-week-old piglets warm that is believed to have caused the fire, Wilson said.

more at LINK

heat lamp, garage, Jamestown ND
Thursday, December 11th, 2008

The Jamestown Rural Fire Department responded to a garage fire about 4 miles north of Jamestown Tuesday morning.Wayne Fylling, rural fire chief, said the fire was reported at 10 a.m. at #### North Dakota Highway 20 N. He said the fire was likely caused by a heat lamp in Xxxx’s garage that had been set up to keep his dogs warm.

The department was on the scene 10 minutes after the call was received and put out the fire. Fylling said about $2,000 in damage was done to the building and its contents.

more at LINK

Heat lamp starts fire in auto repair shop, Springfield FL

Two dogs were rescued from a burning garage early this morning as firefighters extinguished a fire blamed on a heat lamp.

No one was injured in the fire behind a house at 160 East Florida Street, Springfield Fire Department Battalion Chief David Pennington said.

more at LINK

Posted in Heat Lamp | No Comments »

Heat lamp cause barn fire, Brockville ON

Pigs, poultry, rabbits perish in area barn fire

Posted By Nick Gardiner, Staff Writer

Posted 6 hours ago

A small number of pigs, chickens, geese and rabbits died in a massive barn fire late Wednesday afternoon that destroyed the Townline Road structure along with 4,000 bales of hay and a tractor.

…”I came into the barn and it was just a small hole in the wall. In two minutes, it was into the loft,” Wilson told The Recorder and Times after the fire had been brought under control.

…Wilson couldn’t put a price tag on the barn and contents destroyed in the fire but said there was some sentimental value with the animals, particularly a sow that perished with three piglets.

…Tragically, it was a heat lamp used to keep the two-week-old piglets warm that is believed to have caused the fire, said Wilson.

more at LINK

Heat lamp blamed for fire that killed Ore. chicks
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008

Heat lamps are the least preferable way to keep pets warm. Heating pads are safer. My power strip can make all these setups safer, simply tack the smoke shutoff power strip above the pen and above the heat source and if any smoldering begins, my power strip is in position to detect it, shut off the heat source, and sound a 95dB alarm.

Even with this heat pad, you need to make sure the wiring can’t be chewed. If you have a dog who gnaws, you should buy hard conduit to cover the wiring.

11/25/2008, 8:03 p.m. PST The Associated Press

ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — Fire investigators think a heat lamp caused a fire that destroyed a building full of baby chickens in Douglas County last week.

Douglas County Fire District No. 2 said roughly 100 chicks perished in the Friday night fire in the community of Melrose. Firefighters stopped the flames from spreading to structures that housed rabbits in cages.

The chicks had recently been bought and a heat lamp was placed in the 400-square-foot structure to keep them warm. The fire district warned that heat lamps can spark fires when placed too closely to flammable materials.

LINK

heat lamp for doghouse, $40K damage, Boone NC
Friday, November 21st, 2008

By Melanie Davis

…
The first fire was reported at 9:18 p.m. Neighbors noticed the flames coming out of a home at 105 Slopes Court in Boone. The fire started in a doghouse, where the owner had placed a heating lamp. The blaze spread onto the deck and into a portion of the home before it was noticed. The owner, Jennie Wulfing, was not at home.

Upon arrival, firefighters found neighbors throwing buckets of water onto the fire in attempt to prevent spreading. Boone Fire Marshal Ronnie Marsh said they did an excellent job in keeping the fire in check while firefighters were en route.

…

The fire caused approximately $40,000 in damage to the house.

more at LINK

Monitor lizard knocks over heat lamp, condo Naples FL
Friday, November 21st, 2008

I think there’s a big market for protecting against fires caused by heat lamps and aquarium equipment.

By JENNA BUZZACCO (Contact)
Originally published 6:59 p.m., Thursday, November 20, 2008
Updated 6:59 p.m., Thursday, November 20, 2008

Naples firefighters responded to a Royal Harbor home Wednesday afternoon to find a 50-gallon glass container smoldering in a small building behind the home. Rex, a lizard native to sub-Saharan Africa, lives in the container and officials believe a heat lamp keeping him warm fell over and sparked some newspaper in his tank.

Though there was no fire, smoke filled the building.

…

Naples firefighter Travis Wright stepped up to the challenge, DiMaria said. A reptile lover himself, Wright took over resuscitation efforts, even holding the lizard’s mouth open while Naples firefighter and paramedic Joe Fetzer cleared the animal’s airway.

« Older Entries

Newer Entries »

Links
» Product Home Page

Status
Not open for further replies.