Is croaking normal?

Hydrah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hello,
Today my redfoot seems happy and she made a sound, it is similar to a frogs croaking, is this normal? She is eating well, soaking regularly and seems happy and healthy. Her humidity is not quite at tropical. I have not had her long and and hope this is a happy noise that I don't have to worry about. Has anyone else experienced this? Please let me know.
Thanks!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Quite normal. However I only hear this from the adult males when breeding with the females. Other noises by both sexes can vary from whistles, wheezing, and fluctuations.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Quite normal. However I only hear this from the adult males when breeding with the females. Other noises by both sexes can vary from whistles, wheezing, and fluctuations.
One of my juveniles does it on occasion. No respiratory problems.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Darn auto-correct ;)
I've only ever heard my sulcata make a noise, which was similar to a really hoarse whistle. Like, laryngitis x5 :confused::) I've read that redfoots are quite the chatty tortoises, so I wouldn't worry!

abclements

5 Year Member
Yup! My cherry likes to croak to get my attention! I especially noticed this when I walked by during a mazuri hunger strike lol

puffy137

The only sound I have ever heard from my Greeks in a short snort. Disappointing really as I remember The Song of Soloman saying' And the sound of the turtles will be heard again in the land ,' but on further enquiry I discover that turtle DOVES were what was meant.:rolleyes:o_O

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
my male sulcata tort does this all the time.. ussually when 'excited' by his food dish! Sometimes it's a croak.. other times more like a quack or bark.. not to worry the noise is normal :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My sulcata makes noises but my redfoot does not.