Is Chlorotetramycin ointment harmful to toitoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydeon

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I remember vet giving tetramycin ointment to reptiles but not sure about if chlorotetramycin is saft for toitoise.

thank you

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I use Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment with Polymyxin B Sulfate for my torts eyes. That is what your talking about right a eye ointment??? If so you can get it at a farm supply store or on the net and it works miracles. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have "Terramycin" which is oxytetracycline HC1, and its a yellow powder you dissolve in drinking water for respiratory infections.

I have "Terramycin" which is oxytetracycline hydrochloride, and its an ointment for their eyes.

And I vaguely remember seeing a package of something called "Chlorotetracycline" that was a powder for the drinking water for respiratory infection, but I've never heard of "Chlorotetramycin."

Are you sure you are typing in the correct spelling?

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yvonne can you buy the Terramycin yellow powder over the counter??? Does it work well? I'm trying to build a emergency drug store for my RF and I need to get somthing incase of respiratory problems

M

Maggie Cummings

jorrow said:
Yvonne can you buy the Terramycin yellow powder over the counter??? Does it work well? I'm trying to build a emergency drug store for my RF and I need to get somthing incase of respiratory problems

I get my Terramycin powder at the feed store for 3 or 4 dollars...I have used it on a lot of animals. I soak them in the powder and sometimes they get better and sometimes they don't...I wouldn't do without it. I always have several bags...HTH

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jorrow said:

Yes. It is mfg'd by Pfizer for swine and cattle and comes in a small foil envelope. Its the same exact stuff you get at the vet. You mix 1/4 teaspoon per quart of warm water.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.