Is cedar ok for a frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
We want to put a cedar frame lid on an enclosure to keep our furry pets away. We are thinking using cedar for the frame of the lid as it will not rot. The tortoise will not actually be in contact with any cedar. Will it be ok to use or do you suggest another wood? Thank you

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I used cedar outside. Most of the cedar you get in lumber stores is aged, not fresh like cedar bedding.
Outside it should be just fine!

tignish99

5 Year Member
Thank you for your answers.

Oops! I forgot to mention that it will be an inside enclosure. So, what other wood would be ok? Maple? Pine rots pretty quickly.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Under normal condtions pine or any other species of wood will not decay indoors. Wood only begins to decay when kept in damp conditions without adequate air exchange. For an indoor enclosure pine will be less expensive than cedar and far less expensive and attainable than maple or other hardwoods.

Have you considered plywood? A sheet of 3/4" cdx plywood is more material for less money than purchasing board lengths, stronger and easier to quicker to cut to dimensions that you want to use.

tignish99

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Under normal condtions pine or any other species of wood will not decay indoors. Wood only begins to decay when kept in damp conditions without adequate air exchange. For an indoor enclosure pine will be less expensive than cedar and far less expensive and attainable than maple or other hardwoods.

Have you considered plywood? A sheet of 3/4" cdx plywood is more material for less money than purchasing board lengths, stronger and easier to quicker to cut to dimensions that you want to use.

Actually, I did not consider plywood. I guess I figured my wee little tortie had more expensive tastes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.