Sealed Cedar

tiffaboodle

I just ordered an enclosure for my tortoise, it was actually made for a rabbit, and I was going to make some small modification to it because he has outgrown his old one and it is still too cold here for him to go into his outdoor enclosure. Well after waiting weeks for it to arrive and it saying it was pressed wood, I opened the box and it smells of cedar (or at least that is what I assume it is). I am aware that cedar is toxic. My question is if cedar is toxic if it is sealed. It will cost me $75 to return so I am hoping there is some solution and I didn't just waste a bunch of money for nothing. I had planned on sealing it completely anyways but I would rather be safe than do any harm to my little guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would not use cedar for a tortoise enclosure, sealed or not.

tiffaboodle

Do you think it would still give off toxic fumes and cause the same issues as unsealed? I just want to know the reasoning for saying you wouldn't use it. I am not going to use it if their is any potential risk for harm but just would like to know before I spend the $75 to return

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Tom. I wouldn't use cedar at all.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you think it would still give off toxic fumes and cause the same issues as unsealed? I just want to know the reasoning for saying you wouldn't use it. I am not going to use it if their is any potential risk for harm but just would like to know before I spend the $75 to return

How strongly does the wood smell now that it's aired out? Will it be fully enclosed or somewhat open?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Cedar gives off toxic fumes. That is why it is used as a bug repellant in dog beds and cedar chests, or cedar lined closets. I have no way of knowing what percentage of the fumes, if any, will be blocked by the sealant you use, or for how long that barrier would last. Maybe it would be fine. Maybe not… From my point of view, why take the risk?

Imagine this: You come home and find your tortoise dead. Would you pay $75 to go back in time and use a different enclosure to keep him alive?

I worked in retail pets for a lot of years when I was younger. I can't even count how many teary eyed children stood in front of my counter with a dead small mammal in their hands in a cage with cedar bedding. And the answer was always that the cedar bedding package showed a picture of the small animal in question on the label. It got to a point where we put the cedar bedding in the back and only sold it upon request accompanied by a conversation about what it was to be used for and the dangers associated with it.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
it saying it was pressed wood, I opened the box and it smells of cedar (or at least that is what I assume it is). I am aware that cedar is toxic. .

Many rabbit hutches are made of fir wood which also smells until aired out well. You could call the manufacturer or seller to verify the wood used.