Is 50 50 mix of topsoil and cocopeat ok for goldens?

Chilapeno

Hi, i read chris' guide for keeping greeks and it says 50 50 topsoil and sand mix. Is it ok to use cocopeat instead instead of sand to mix with topsoil? For some reason playsand is very hard to get and not cheap here.

Im planning to have a baby golden in few weeks and very excited to be a new keeper.

Thoughts? Thanks a lot

Eric

Fishtank307

Hi, i read chris' guide for keeping greeks and it says 50 50 topsoil and sand mix. Is it ok to use cocopeat instead instead of sand to mix with topsoil? For some reason playsand is very hard to get and not cheap here.

Im planning to have a baby golden in few weeks and very excited to be a new keeper.

Thoughts? Thanks a lot

Eric

Cocopeat is great for retaining moisture. But I think adding sand makes it easier for greeks to burrow. However, I do use (only) cocopeat in my tortoise's night shelter outside. It's completely sealed, so I can control how moist it is and she has no problems diging herself in. Maybe I can try adding sand and tell you how it works out ;) I think topsoil and cocopeat would be a bit too packed. I've never tried it though. Topsoil here contains too much clay and is very dense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would use any of that.

Coco coir works best for baby Testudo and orchid bark works best for adults.

Sand should never be used. Its and impaction risk and a possible skin and eye irritant. Soil should be used because you cannot know what it is made of. Is it composted grass clippings with "weed n feed" all over it? Is it oleander and azalea trimmings? No way to know what they composted to make it.