Irregular shell growth- PLEASE HELP!!

Beatrice2013

I have a 4 year old female Russian tortoise. Her shell growth appears very irregular to me and I'm not sure what to do. For a while I thought this must be normal but now I'm starting to get concerned. I feed her greens (kale, collards (occasionally), endive, radicchio, mustard, etc) never romaine or iceburg but recently she's really been loving her butternut squash. She goes through phases where she'll eat anything I offer then suddenly become very picky and not eat for days. I sprinkle her food with calcium powder several times a week. IMG_3270.JPG IMG_3271.JPG Her enclosure is about 85-90 degrees and I use a 10.0 repti-sun bulb. It does seem like her scutes have begun to even out over time but I'm still worried about these large gaps inbetween and the cluster of scutes toward her rear. What could possibly be wrong? Is her shell growing too fast? I appreciate any help! Thank you in advance!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO.

That's new growth and normal for a Russian. It's just how they grow. It will darken with time.

Your Russian only needs a tiny sprinkle of calcium powder on food 3 times a week - no more. It is possible to overdo it.

There are 4 important temperatures in the enclosure - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum. All need to be measured on the floor at tortoise level. What are these temperatures?

Humidity affects shell growth too. What is the humidity in the enclosure?

UVB is important for your tort to process dietary calcium? Is your bulb a long tube or a compact bulb? The compact ones are not recommended on TFO as they cause eye problems in torts.

Please post photos of your tort's enclosure and lighting if you would like us to check out the environment and recommend any changes.

I recommend that you read the following about caring for your Russian. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Beatrice2013

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I have been very concerned. Here are a couple photos of her enclosure/ lighting. The enclosure is 48x30". Off to the right is an enclosed Hide area where she sleeps. The himidity is about 30%. Do you have a recommendation for a good thermometer? I use stick on gauges near the basking area but would like a probe so I could test all areas of the enclosure. I also use a dry coconut fiber substrate. Is there something better I should be using? Or should I mix it with another substrate?

Attachments

• IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    909.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3275.JPG
    IMG_3275.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 28

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I have been very concerned. Here are a couple photos of her enclosure/ lighting. The enclosure is 48x30". Off to the right is an enclosed Hide area where she sleeps.
How big is your tortoise? I need to know its Straight Carapace Length (SCL). This is how to measure it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Russians are very active and need lots of space (4'x8' minimum) as they mature - I won't judge whether your enclosure is too small until I know her size.

The himidity is about 30%.
That is too low for a young tortoise you need warm humidity for shell growth. However, you cannot achieve this with an open top to the enclosure. You will need some sort of cover for the enclosure. The substrate needs to be damp, not dry. Take the decor out then tip water in and mix it thoroughly with your hands so it is evenly damp. It must not be wet, so do it a little at a time. This will need to be repeated from time to time as the substrate dries out. Then you need to mist your tort and the enclosure with water using a plant spray bottle a couple of times a day.

A digital probe hygrometer can be bought pretty cheaply from Amazon and is best for measuring humidity.

Do you have a recommendation for a good thermometer? I use stick on gauges near the basking area but would like a probe so I could test all areas of the enclosure.
A temperature gun thermometer is best for spot checks. Something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benetech-N...id=1479806414&sr=8-3&keywords=temperature+gun

It must be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp.

To adjust the temperature under the lamp you need to raise or lower it. You may need to lose the metal grid and use a lamp hanger.

I also use a dry coconut fiber substrate. Is there something better I should be using? Or should I mix it with another substrate?
Coco fibre is fine, but it must not be dry. See my earlier comment.

Please read those links I gave you earlier. They will answer a lot of questions for you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Beatrice, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
I have nothing to add, Joe's Mum has covered pretty much everything, i think.
Read the links and then don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Beatrice, and welcome to the Forum!

As long as the silhouette of the tortoise continues to look symmetrical and maintain the correct look Russian tortoises have, you have nothing to worry about. When the silhouette changes and the shell starts to look deformed, then something is wrong with the husbandry. Your tortoise has probably gone through a very "dry" (dry as in food scarcity) period and hasn't done much growing. Now that food is more plentiful it's growing to make up for lost time.

This is what I mean by 'deformed':

images

Beatrice2013

How big is your tortoise? I need to know its Straight Carapace Length (SCL). This is how to measure it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Russians are very active and need lots of space (4'x8' minimum) as they mature - I won't judge whether your enclosure is too small until I know her size.

That is too low for a young tortoise you need warm humidity for shell growth. However, you cannot achieve this with an open top to the enclosure. You will need some sort of cover for the enclosure. The substrate needs to be damp, not dry. Take the decor out then tip water in and mix it thoroughly with your hands so it is evenly damp. It must not be wet, so do it a little at a time. This will need to be repeated from time to time as the substrate dries out. Then you need to mist your tort and the enclosure with water using a plant spray bottle a couple of times a day.

A digital probe hygrometer can be bought pretty cheaply from Amazon and is best for measuring humidity.

A temperature gun thermometer is best for spot checks. Something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benetech-N...id=1479806414&sr=8-3&keywords=temperature+gun

It must be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp.

To adjust the temperature under the lamp you need to raise or lower it. You may need to lose the metal grid and use a lamp hanger.

Coco fibre is fine, but it must not be dry. See my earlier comment.

Please read those links I gave you earlier. They will answer a lot of questions for you.

She measures 7". If the enclosure is too small is it a good idea to allow her to wander around in a safe enclosed room? The weather in my area does not permit me to keep her outside throughout the year. I have also adjusted the temperature. The basking area is now 100 degrees.

Can soaking be used as a substitute to misting? Is one more effective than the other or should I do both?

Beatrice2013

Hello, Beatrice, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
I have nothing to add, Joe's Mum has covered pretty much everything, i think.
Read the links and then don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Thank you!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She measures 7".
In which case this enclosure is far too small for your Tortoise. A 7" Russian needs a 4'x8' enclosure at the absolute minimum.

A large bookcase with the shelves knocked out, lined with pond liner or shower curtain, makes a good Tortoise table.

If the enclosure is too small is it a good idea to allow her to wander around in a safe enclosed room? The weather in my area does not permit me to keep her outside throughout the year.
No, wandering round the room is not safe.

Out of the enclosure, your tortoise is away from the heat and UVB it needs to be healthy. The floor of your home is considerably colder than your tortoise needs.

There is also the risk that your tortoise may be stepped on (we had one on TFO only a couple of weeks ago :( ) or escape - you only have to be distracted for a moment.

The other risk is that it will eat something harmful. They are not very clever and bright coloured things mean food to a tortoise; I've watched my own try to eat red circles printed on newspaper. There is also a high risk of them ingesting hair or dust bunnies which will cause blockages in the digestive system.

Your tortoise needs a proper sized enclosure in which it can be healthy and happy.

Russians are a hibernating species. You need a dry area or fridge (not the one for your food) that stays at 45F/5C and never goes below freezing. This option is all you have if you cannot provide adequate indoor space and it's too cold outside.

I live in the UK and you may find this thread I created helpful for keeping a tortoise outside
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

I have also adjusted the temperature. The basking area is now 100 degrees.
Well done

Can soaking be used as a substitute to misting? Is one more effective than the other or should I do both?
No. Soaking allows your tortoise to drink water. Misting and a damp substrate raise humidity. Misting without damp substrate is not effective.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
I have a male Russian whose shell is starting to look exactly like this. I'm used to raising Hermanns which don't do this so it made me really nervous. If i couldn't find answers I was making a vet appt. Really glad you asked this question, & the good info, Thank you!