2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
Hello! I'm Tom and I keep two female western hingebacks, Kinixys nogueyi. Are there any other U.S. based keepers of this species here at Tortoise Forum? Would love to connect- I have been in touch with Kelly form Texas and David Mifsud in Michigan, but curious if there are any other Nogueyi keepers here! I've posted a shot of one of my females that I've had for about 18 years.

Thanks,

-Tom

tarbour_-46.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
Welcome!
I love the kinixys. I don't have the pleasure of owning any yet but I tend to read every bit of info I can get on them.
I would greatly appreciate it if you shared your care methods and enclosure setup with us.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
As far as care goes, it's nothing all that different from a typical tortoise, but with a little bit more healthy fruit and a little bit more protein. Dandelion, endive, yellow squash, lawn weeds, Mazuri LS, and the occasional earthworm, Wax worms, meal worms are staples for my two.

They spend the summers outside during the day, in well planted enclosures, they enjoy hiding at the bases of plants during the hot summers. In the winters, they are inside, kept at lower humidities, which naturally replicates their seasonal warm/dry seasons in west Africa. I just read a 2015 article that discusses that in the wild, Nogueyi in Nigeria and Togo eat mostly animal material during the dry season, which roughly equates to our winter, and then switch to fungi, fruits, flowers and other plant materials in the wet seasons.

Bambam1989

East Texas
As far as care goes, it's nothing all that different from a typical tortoise, but with a little bit more healthy fruit and a little bit more protein. Dandelion, endive, yellow squash, lawn weeds, Mazuri LS, and the occasional earthworm, Wax worms, meal worms are staples for my two.

They spend the summers outside during the day, in well planted enclosures, they enjoy hiding at the bases of plants during the hot summers. In the winters, they are inside, kept at lower humidities, which naturally replicates their seasonal warm/dry seasons in west Africa. I just read a 2015 article that discusses that in the wild, Nogueyi in Nigeria and Togo eat mostly animal material during the dry season, which roughly equates to our winter, and then switch to fungi, fruits, flowers and other plant materials in the wet seasons.
Interesting, was this article online? I would love to read it if I can.