Introducing Oogie the DT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie

5 Year Member
thanks for all your kind words...i passed them onto Oogie by giving him a little shell-scratch (something i noticed he enjoys).

i know this was only my 3rd day with him...but i was surprised that he went into his burrow around 2pm and never came out. it was a nice comfortably warm day...he has 3 other places to retreat from heat...but instead he chose to go into his dog house which was actually much hotter by 10 degrees. is this normal for torts or should i be cautious that something might be up?

he seemed fairly active in the morning...he pooped...he ate well...his eyes and nose look great. but i did notice the day he first arrived here that his breathing was audible...not raspy or wheezy...more like he was sniffing and taking in the new environment. BUT, i don't know if this is normal or not. i have soaked him twice since bringing him home because he was pretty dry and a forum member noticed his eyes were slightly sunken...the second soak was with some flavorless pedialyte and water.

he has an apt tomorrow for an xray to make sure he doesn't have bladder stones...maybe he'll get fully checked out then!

terry...yea...he's only about 11" and they can get up to 15". i wish i had a good guess of his age.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Be sure you put something over that dog house to keep it in the shade. You can put up a beach umbrella or some shade cloth, etc. He has obviously really taken to his dog house. That's going to be where he parks his body!

Yvonne

Oogie

5 Year Member
yea...he seems to like it...he went into it again today! i was going to put trees in front of it, but he has 3 shaded burrows that i thought he'd turn to instead. we'll move the trees over this weekend.

good news, y'all...Oogie's xray showed he has no bladder stones!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.