Introducing Mims & Ranon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beak Jr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi TortoiseForum.org,
I'd like you to meet my Russian tortoises, Mims & Ranon.

Mims & Ranon.JPG

Ranon (left) is a male and Mims (right) is a female. They have lived with me here in Wisconsin since I adopted them 18 months ago.

Before coming into my care Mims and Ranon were purchased from a Petco and lived with a family in Wisconsin for 5 years. Unfortunately, during this time they had lived in a 15-gallon aquarium in which half of the space was taken up by a water dish and the other half was a 1/2" deep layer of sand. They had been living on a diet consisting mostly of iceberg lettuce. Ultimately the family became disinterested and the tortoises were given to an animal shelter.

When I discovered them at the shelter I had not initially intended to adopt them. I only wanted to meet them because I had only seen one Russian tortoise in person at a Petco previously. However, they seemed to be on their deathbeds, so I decided to rescue them.

At first they were very lethargic, dehydrated, and almost unresponsive. After about 3 months of proper diet, baths, lighting, and space they became active and their personalities began to show. Now, over a year later, they seem to be healthy and in good spirits.

Mims
Mims 1.JPG

Ranon
Ranon 1.JPG

However, now that Ranon is healthy again, he is almost always interested in initiated mating with Mims. Over the last few months he has become increasingly more aggressive, including biting off quite a few scales from her legs, causing her to retaliate with dominance behavior as well. I know it is not ideal to have one female housed with one male, but I wanted to at least try to keep them together since they had lived together for over 5 years already without harming one another. The behavior continued so now they have been separated.

Unfortunately I do not have room for two tortoise tables, so as sad as it seems, I think it is time for a tortoise divorce. I wanted to introduce these two to the forum not only to become more connected to this community, but ultimately I will be looking to adopt one of them to a new home.

Sincerely,
Beak Jr

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately, you have discovered what usually happens with a pair of russian tortoises who have to live indoors. If you could set them up outside, in a very large habitat, the aggressive behaviour is minimized.

Esme and Torty

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to the forum :tort:
Your story about Ranon and Mims is awful and it was really good you took them on.
I think Ranon might be feeling randy because hes maturing ? But I dont know. My little boy is 10 and I haven't noticed him trying it on with anything.
Esme and Tory x

Vickie

5 Year Member
Welcome to the board and very nice story as well! They were very lucky to have found someone that knew what to do and rescue them from that life and give them a change for a future. :))

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Thank you for saving these two lives.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) Mims and Ranon both are realy cute :)

Beak Jr

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Neal said:
+1 for Willow!

Yes! Neal, you're literally the only person who's ever made the connection, this is a sign that I've made the right choice in joining the forum. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.