IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
IMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg

I introduced Mims a few months ago. I rescued her from a pet shelter almost two years ago. She was in very poor health when I took her in, but she has really bounced back. She is very energetic and active, eats well, and even tried to dig a nest (no eggs unfortunately). However, just as she was getting well, so was the male she had lived with for 5 years, and as soon as they became active they started to fight. She took the worst damage, getting a chip in her beak, losing the scales around her toes, and scrapes on the side of her shell. She has since been separated from her abusive boyfriend. I unfortunately do not have room for two tortoise tables, so I have decided to adopt Mims out to someone who has the room but I wanted to get an assessment of her age and health before I post a classified for her.

Mims details are:
Years in captivity: at least 7
Weight: 1lb 4.25oz
Carapace Length: 6.25"
Carapace Width: 6.25"
Around mid shell: 12"
Head length: 1.25"

Can anyone make an educated guess of her age?

As for her health. She is a completely different tortoise than when I received her. She is very alert, curious, and active. She approaches me if I am near her tortoise table, and always eats from my hand.

She has a fairly smooth shell except for a few small pits that looks like older damage, any ideas what this might be?

Her beak has always been a little overgrown, I have filed it a little, and she has been fed on a stone but little has changed. It appears she was bit in the face at some point and suffered a chip in her beak because of it. She eats well despite these issues.

Most of the scales around her toes were bitten off, and she suffered scrapes or bites along her sides. This all happened within a couple of days. Luckily no blood was shed, and she has been separated from the male that did the damage ever since.

She is a great little tortoise, but unfortunately I don't have room for two. So I will be looking to adopt Mims to another family that has room. I will make an official classified post as well. If someone is interested in giving her a good home I will be attending the North American Reptile Breeders Conference in Tinley Park IL this weekend and could deliver her there. I won't charge anything, just as long as she goes to a good home.

Thanks,
Beak Jr

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Mims is a cutie! My guess is that she is likely between 10 and 15 years old, but it is hard to tell with tortoises, especially ones that were originally wild-caught and then lived a hard life and then lived a better life, because they grow at such different rates throughout that time.

Have you posted in the 'adoptions' section of the forum? If you scroll down on the main TFO page, you'll find it. I bet you can find someone who is interested in a female (I already have 4 females, so don't have space for more a.t.m.) - best of luck, and I am so glad you decided to separate the male and female!

Status
Not open for further replies.